View Single Post
Old 12-20-2013, 11:37 PM   #5
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

It's an exercise in self-torture, basically.

MEET THE DEPRESSED, 2013 EDITION

LIONS STAFF

Head Coach: Jim Schwartz(47, 2y, $3.48m). Young Talent, Discipline, and Scouting are his strengths: weaknesses in play calling and espescially intelligence. Naturally, the Lions hired an idiot. And now an idiot in me to guide him. The blind leading the blind, almost literally.

Offensive Coordinator: Scott Linehan(50, 3y, $1.36m). Average to below-average in pretty much everything.

Defensive Coordinator: Gunther Cunningham(67, 1y, $1.36m). He'd be my pick for next head coach if he wasn't in his upper 60s. Motivation, scouting, and interviewing are weaknesses, but he's excellent at play calling, discipline, young players, and intelligent to boot.

Assistant Coach: John Bonamengo(50, 3y, $1.02m). Great with young players, good interviewer, and pretty much crap across the board other than that. Naturally a 3-year deal will keep me from properly disposing of his ineptitude as soon as I'd like.

Strength Coach: Jason Arapoff(48, 2y, $630k). Pretty average, he'll do for now.

QUARTERBACKS

We have a controversy here right away. Matthew Stafford(25) will compete with Shaun Hill(33) for the starting spot in preseason. Schwartz wants Hill at the top spot, and I think he's full of it on this. Stafford has a 5-year, $45m deal. No way is an aging vet going to be starting over him unless there's no other choice. I tell Schwartz that Stafford is the starter and that's the end of it.

Kellen Moore(24) is the useless emergency option.

RUNNING BACKS

Another controversy, same basic issue. Reggie Bush(28) has a 4-year, $12m deal, and I'm told they like 23-year-old Mikel Leshoure better. Bush is the starter anyway unless Leshoure does something really special in preseason. I'm told Joique Bell(27) could develop into a good backup in time, and fullback JJ Shockley(21) is a real weak spot. He could become decent, but we've got nobody who can fill that spot competently right now.

RECEIVERS

For reasons that absolutely escape me, rookie TE Joseph Fauria is somehow preferred to veteran Tony Scheffler(30). I tell Schwartz to give the rookie some time as a backup first. Fauria could be a fabulous run-blocking TE down the road, but he's not there yet.

The wideouts have particularly 'duh' choice Calvin Johnson(28) leading the way, but there's a pretty huge dropoff to the rest of them. Right now Kevin Ogletree(26) seems a fairly clear #2 option, with Matt Willis(29) and Ryan Broyles(25) the best of the rest. A couple of these guys are having pretty major conflicts with Scheffler. If that doesn't go away, this might be Tony's last year as a Lion.

OFFENSIVE LINE

C Dominic Raiola(35) has been a mainstay through all of the horrid years last decade, and is now in his 14th season. Despite his age, he's still the best of the group. LG Rob Sims(30) is quality as well. RG Larry Warford(22) and LT Riley Reiff(25) start because there's no-one better, but they have talent. Overall, this group isn't a disaster, but it definitely needs an overhaul.

SPECIAL TEAMS

We're actually pretty set here. K David Akers(39) will obviously need to be replaced at any time, but he's a good one and we think even higher of this year's 5th-round pick, P Sam Martin(23). Martin could become one of the best in the league.

DEFENSIVE LINE

A strong front has been a major focus in Detroit for some years, and unlike most of their efforts, it has produced results. DT Nick Fairley(25) looks like the best of the bunch, with a lot of upside still. DT Ndamukong Suh(26), DE Ezekiel Ansah(24), and veteran DE Israel Idonije(33) give us a strong starting corps with C.J. Mosley(30) excellent off the bench. Ansah can still get better, and DE Devin Taylor(24) could be a major contributor in a couple of years time. Unsurprisingly, the line is one of the best in the league and should remain so for some time.

LINEBACKERS

MLB Stephen Tulloch(28) is a good one, but there's not much else here. WLB DeAndre Levy(26) is passable at best, and having SLB Cory Greenwood(28) as a starter is a trespass of criminal severity. This is an aspect of the team that's needs a serious upgrade.

SECONDARY

At least here we have some youth. CB Chris Houston(29) is the only one I have real confidence in. 2nd-round pick Darius Slay will hopefully be able to handle to other corner and is the most talented, while safeties Louis Delmas(26) and Glover Quinn(27) are still getting better I hope. Raw corner DeQuan Menzie(22) could become important, but there isn't enough real talent here to be optimistic overall.

2013 Outlook

The team has some strengths, but too many weaknesses. Overall roster is ranked 21st in the league, and dead last in the NFC North is expected.

Long-term Outlook

To rebuild or not to rebuild? Bush and Johnson are very nice weapons on offense, and the defensive line is excellent. This is something to build around but it will need to happen quickly.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 12-22-2013 at 04:09 AM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote