View Single Post
Old 01-04-2014, 07:39 AM   #304
QuikSand
lolzcat

I haven't read/heard the specifics you describe, but I'd be interested.

Off the top of my head, I'm not really persuaded that moving to a plant-based diet really exposes one to more pesticides and genetically modified organisms than a standard diet would. If you're eating factory farmed animals and their products, what do you think they are being fed day after day? Pesticide-laden, genetically-modified corn and other plants. Eating meat doesn't get you out of this mix, it just puts you higher into the food chain -- and with a lot of the worst toxins that tend to be cumulative in nature, it gets like STDs, where once you eat an animal, you're eating all the toxins he ever ate, and so forth.

For our family, we eat mostly organic (which gets you at lest lower in pesticides, away from GMOs, and in some cases away from BPA). There are some guidelines on ways to do this reasonably (the "dirty dozen" would come up on a quick search) - but it is definitely more expensive and limiting. We have several things we will buy conventional, but many others where we stick to the organic. I am the most lax one in my family, mostly out of laziness/expedience.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote