View Single Post
Old 01-04-2014, 06:26 PM   #89
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Love Smith, always have, but he's doing things today he hasn't done all year. The deep pass has Indy on their heals and he's running far more than he did during the regular season. He's ran as much in this half as much as he usually ran in full games.
Completely disagree. This is the Chiefs offense -- minus Jamaal Charles. The offense largely been improving its timing all season long, and slowly but surely Smith's completion rate and passing yards have increased. This is the third game of Smith's last four starts the team has scored 30 or more points in the first half.

The Chiefs have tried the long bomb to Avery several times this season. That was the first time the defense completely blew the coverage and left him wide open. Avery dropped a couple that he should have caught. Earlier in the season, Smith was overthrowing him -- just like the overthrow to Gray at the beginning of the fourth quarter. It's all timing and knowing where these guys will be. That takes time to learn.

The read option and scramble has been a part of Smith's game all season. He set a team record for rushing. Nothing new.

I think this game is a reflection of Smith's abilities to manage a game and Reid's ability to put together a game plan. It's been a near flawless plan and near perfect execution. Without the injuries, Chiefs probably roll. I'll admit, I'm surprised because I truly felt the Colts were getting things fixed after Wayne went down and the dominated the Chiefs in KC.

I completely agree with Jim. Alex Smith isn't a top five quarterback. But he's the kind of guy you can build a game plan around and take advantage of what he does best, which is complete short passes, protect the ball and run.

41-38 … this thing isn't over yet. Good grief.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote