Thread: Severe Weather
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2014, 06:05 PM   #759
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

To be fair, just about all the reactions I've seen were of some variety of "I've never seen it pile up that fast." I'm inclined to agree. I remember when I saw the first flakes around 12:30, I felt okay with leaving around 1:00 because I figured it would take a little time to stick. 15 minutes later, I'm noticing the parking lot and the cars get covered and that's when I decided to get going. By that time it was too late and the gridlock was already forming. Even so, I got home okay, though a 20-minute commute on 540 turned into an hour. I still got away early enough that the roads weren't causing people to quit their cars like they did later in the afternoon.

This is about the fastest accumulation I can remember from any storm around here. It was an inch an hour overall. We ended up with 4" on the back deck before it started switching to sleet around 4:30. Will be an interesting night. The lines are buried in the neighborhood, but there's still a damn lot of trees around here. Hope the icing won't be as bad as expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I guess somebody didn't get the memos from Atlanta's recent experience.

RALEIGH: Snow arrives in the Triangle, causing gridlock on the roads | Weather News | NewsObserver.com

And it's not like Atlanta's experience was all they had to lean on. They had the epic one-inch storm that crippled the city in 2005, as well. The problem was that it came on quick and it stuck from the first moments, meaning unless you left work at about 11:30 or maybe noon, you weren't getting a smooth commute home. They didn't have to worry about the schoolkids this time like they did then because they canceled classes in advance today.

Last edited by Wolfpack : 02-12-2014 at 06:08 PM.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote