View Single Post
Old 03-26-2014, 03:07 PM   #232
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

I guess I'm not certain why this is a game-changer. It probably hurts private colleges in that it only applies to them. Maybe this will wind up removing schools like Duke, Vanderbilt, Northwestern, Stanford and USC from major conferences. That would be a blow.

So, now these players have the right to strike without losing their scholarships. Strike over what, exactly? The NCAA rules for labor limits are lower than what a union would demand. They have the right to refuse to participate in dangerous drills, and bring in people to investigate the workplace. Well, maybe that's a good thing for everyone. College athletes train hard. Better standards would help.

I guess that leaves money. They could strike to insist upon a salary. But the schools are hamstrung by NCAA rules, so all that amounts to is a refusal to play without losing their scholarships. And that's what would get the school removed from a conference. Colter has said this is about the money.

I think this matters more to lawyers than it does to fans. We all know major college sports are based on hypocrisy. But we still enjoy the pretense.

We've seen unions in sports before - we have them in all of the major sports. What they can't do, and won't do, is change the fact that coaches decide who plays and who doesn't. So I'm not sure what changes here. The issue of whether the NCAA will allow stipends over the value of a scholarship seems entirely separate.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote