View Single Post
Old 06-24-2014, 01:29 PM   #435
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Thought I would do a quick write up just for grins and maybe spark some more interest as we head to the next season.

I joined the Ladder late (a full 2 seasons after most if not all other human members) and inherited a team devoid of talent. Seriously our first year our best overall player was ranked 68 overall and was a C. We struggled mightily for a few years but in the last couple seasons have begun to see our arrow pointing up. Coming in to the season I knew, more than winning, I needed a talent infusion that would redefine our roster. I gathered the best and richest boosters that FAU had for a secret dinner meeting. There was

Tom - The night shift manager at Taco Bell and a 2000 business admin grad
Butch - Assistant Senior Deli manager at Publix, 1998 Sociology grad
Tina - 2008 grad. Not sure what she does for a living, theater, art some BS but she is LOADED, HOT, Loaded and did I mention rich? She always has cash falling out of her purse. Says she earns it a "dollar at a time" whatever that means.

Neville Shapiro we were not but hey play the cards you are dealt, right?

We knew this year had to be big so we practiced the $500 handshake...and let me tell you Tina has quite an interesting shake...we practiced a bunch, her and I. Just to be certain she had it down. But I digress...

I sat late into the night in my office remembering my latest practice session with Tina and evaluating my Roster and took the following notes:

QB
Only 2 return.
Fuller - 71 rated So who has never taken a college snap
McNeal - a 66 rSo with more career INTs than completions. or at least it seems that way.

HB
One of the only strengths of our team. 3 return, but 2 of those stars will be Seniors
Whaley a 74 rated speed back
McMillan an 80 rated bruiser
Petit a young scat back with promise. rated a 74 but with 93 speed.

FB
We have 2 young talented players returning so we didnt see the need to waste a valuable scholarship here

WR
While not the embarrassment of riches enjoyed elsewhere in the league we are competent at WR and have 8 returning. For this reason we held off chasing any new WR

TE
2 will return next year 1 of which is a senior and the So back up is a low 60s guy. We set our mind to add 1 and made a note that we would take 2 if they fell into our lap.

OT
We like to carry 6 OTs and would only have 5 returning so we knew we needed a number. Our returning players ranged from 63-70 OVR so if a kid could fog a mirror we could promise playing time.

G
We were set at G. While we weren't even above average we had numbers and could wait a year to find talent upgrades.

C
We have a pair of 80+ rated C but BOTH are Seniors and both have exhausted their redshirts. This was obviously a position of need.
Unfortunately we struck out here with 3 separate targets. We have some position movement options we will have to explore this summer.

DEFENSE
This is where we needed (and found) the most help

DE
As I reviewed our DE prospects I considered running a 0-7-4 defense..or at least a 2-5-4. When my assistants told me it hadnt been invented and they werent smart enough to do so...I set my sight on finding some DE help. We had 4 set to return, 2 of those seniors. and the other 2 rated in the low 50s. Our best returning senior is a 74 overall.

DT
We are actually over our set roster numbers here so we wont loom to add anybody for a year or so.

OLB
I wanted 1 OLB for numbers sake but it wasn't a critical need.

CB
Next to DE this is the spot we made the most headway on.
We were -1 on numbers and of the 5 returning they ranged OVR from 65-70

FS
We were full but not spectacular at FS. We let this position idle for the year.

SS
At SS an injury and a defector left em with only 1 returning player a 62 rated Jr. We needed 2.

K
Kicker? We have one. Next

P
What?!!?
We had a highly rated Punter that we brought in last year to understudy behind our senior P. He was rated an 88 overall but decided to transfer after the season due to a lack of playing time. Left with no punter we had to scramble to add one in the off season.

Signees

QB
Early on we felt we had young Terell gates from nearby GA within reach and by week 8 we had a commitment from the Nation's #11 rated QB. A 69 rated scrambler with an average arm.

Un satisfied we set our sights and went the distance to secure a commitment from Eric Gore a 74 rated Ath with 86 Speed and 82 accuracy.

HB

Really needed to add a HB of the future here but struck out at early targets. Have a few ATHs we've signed that will get a shot there in summer camp and we will see how it shakes out.

TE
By week 3 we had received a commitment from 3* Terrence Whitworth.
And later accepted a pledge from JUCO 3* Brennan Williams. Solid depth here for the future but no one that jumps off the page.

WR
WR wasnt a position of need but a young local kid Joe Ramsey was a 4* talent with 88 speed and said he dreamed of playing for FAU so we accepted his commitment.

T
We quickly identified Timmy Miles as our primary target. A 3 * player from SC who our scouts unmasked to be a 71 OVR. Meaning he would walk on campus as my best OT. We had to fight off UTSA and Indiana for him but ole Tina did the trick. I really need to learn why all these nice young men like her sooo much. She really doesnt have that great of a personality!!!

DE

I set out looking for 2 DEs in this class minimum.
Luke Ferguson jumped on board first a 76 rated overall 4* from AL
Isacc Harwell a 3* from FL was added next a 70 OVR with a great frame
We would have been content here until we heard of a fire hydrant of a DE up in GA named Steohen Warren. Only 5'10" and 250lb this DE was rated a 4* prospect and when we scouted him he soared to a 78 overall. It took us a while but finally we landed his commitment in the offseason.
Then we got greedy and added Steven Montgomery from TN. a 4* +5 recruited 77 overall talent.

This means next fall our 4 highest rated DEs will ALL be Fr.
This is the start of a talent infusuion. Though it is very likely I will lose one to the DT group.

DT
Despite not looking a 3* Raymond Harris fell into our laps. He is no world beater but is rated equal to a Jr in the program currently so will help us begin to shift the talent upwards

OLB
We actually ended up signing a pair of 3*each rated at 68 OVR.
Neither is a major upgrade over whats on campus but they both fell at the same time. In the future these guys will be roster filler today they are solid contributors.

CB
Our first signee of the class. Chad Garcia is a 78 rated +11 3* from Atlanta that really like Duke but we happened to secure his commitment before he caught their eye.
We would add a pair of 4* rated 74 and 73 each in Matt Ross and Dominique McMillan.

Again an interesting set up where our second, third, and fourth best OVR rated CBs will be true Fr next season!

SS
We added a pair of 3* in 69 rated Leon Hall and 63 rated Heath Harris. Neither are world beaters but they will make us better.

P
We added the nations #18 rated P Drew Thornburg from Bayou country LA...but we have sights on another better player still!

ATH

In addition to Eric gore who we already have slotted at QB we added a pair of 4* ATH in Spencer White rated a 78 OVR at something and Casey Wiley a 70 OVR built to be a DB. Without our needs in teh secondary both may wind up there. But with White's 98 speed and 92 acceleration I would love to find a way to get the ball in his hands more often. We will see how it goes!

Thanks for reading and let me know how hard this stream on consciousness was to follow
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote