Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

13 April 2013

Rosport 1-3 Oberkorn

GK: Oster
D: Scholer, Battaglia, Maiget, Bernard
M: Rakic, Jans, Binsfeld, Ferreira
ST: Laroche, Schiltz

We welcomed Oberkorn's new boss, Steve Bettmer, back to Victoriarena with a nice round of applause, and then we delivered the result the media had predicted. We had a rough week in training, and there are a few guys who were too banged up to play. Tim Heinz is hurt the worst. He wrenched his knee pretty hard, and he's still about two weeks away from being ready. Alphonse Leweck (jammed toe) and Yannick Loose (strained neck) could play if this were a must-win match. It's not, so they watched this one in their tracksuits.

Pit Theis is a big fan of Thomas Battaglia, and I'm becoming one, too. He can play three positions in the middle of the park, and he's only 20. Tonight he filled in for Loose and was our team's best defender.

Oberkorn's goal was the weirdest one we've conceded all year. Jeff Oster found himself on an island, a high-bouncing ball coming at him while he maneuvered at the edge of the area. Had he been a step farther back, I'm sure he would have grabbed it with his hands. Instead, he tried to head it to Battaglia. Jeff Oster isn't very good at heading a football. His attempt went straight to their winger, Rui, who chipped it neatly over Jeff's head into the wide-open net. The goal brought Oberkorn level, 1-1.

Fortunately, we have guys like Jeremy Laroche on our side. Jeremy took a cross from Carlos Ferreira on the half-volley and deposited it into the net with his left foot. 2-1, Rosport.

On 80 minutes, Oberkorn had a free kick, and Laurent Schiltz headed it back toward the Oberkorn goal. Marc Binsfeld got to the ball first, and Laroche turned and sprinted ahead. Marc got Jeremy the ball, and the crowd roared as he bore down on the goal. Laroche decided to strike from 15 yards away, and the keeper never had a chance.

Our first goal was notable, too. Andy Rakic came off with an injury early in the match, and Jonathan Rodrigues entered the fray. He discovered how cool it is to be on the receiving end of one of Carlos Ferreira's passes, and Jonathan delivered his first-ever goal in a Rosport shirt. Rakic will be out for about three weeks with a knee injury, so you'll see more of JR for the rest of the season.

This weekend's results cleared up the promotion/relegation picture. We're up, and Swift Hesperange have clinched a spot in the Promotion Playoff, at the very least. Mamer are also in the running for the Playoff, which (I think) matches our 3rd place club with the 12th place club in the National Division.

Alliance Aischdall and US Sandweiler will be dropped, and Oberkorn and FF Norden 02 are currently slated for the Relegation Playoff.

I can tell you right now that next week, away to Mondercange, I'm playing the kids. I don't want anybody else to get hurt with our Cup quarter-final approaching.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote