View Single Post
Old 07-24-2014, 10:49 AM   #2052
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Move to the American South and see if there is a stigma against those that hold strong religious views.

And move to San Fransisco if you think there's a stigma against homosexuality? What's your point?

I wouldn't admit to most of my peer group that I find value in religion and prayer. It'd be a little awkward after they've told me so often how stupid religion is and how people who find value in it are brain-dead lemmings and such. I believe they would also make assumptions about how I feel about gay marriage and other social issues. Maybe I'm being too cynical, and people on this board are far nicer and more outwardly tolerant about it than average, but from my experience, if you're in your 20s and 30's and live in either the northeast or some other progressive urban place, it's seen as weird to go to church or be religious. Geez, even in red Idaho, I certainly know of religious people at work, but among the 10-15 or so people I hang out with close to my age, none go to church and almost all have bad-mouthed religion generally. I wouldn't and can't compare it to any stigma homosexuality has in the south or anything, but at the very least, being young and religious can be considered a weird trait that people look down on in some places.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote