View Single Post
Old 08-08-2014, 07:57 PM   #156
Izulde
Head Coach

Remember how my coaches snidely pooh-poohed George Gould? Well, he's gone from 1 gold star at DL and DC to 1.5 in each and the media is going crazy with lavish praise for the 21 year old. He's also part of my Scarborough Shortlist Signings, which I'll explain at the end of the year.

vs Black Country Rangers (Dudley Lathum Memorial Cup First Round Second Leg)
G: Marcus Davies (U18 Callup)
D: Elliott Burns/Tom Kemp/Luke Saxby/Gavin Lambert
M: Andy Mogwo/Richie Harwood/Kwasi Frempong
AM: Harry Powell
S: Jay McGregor/Shane Bennett

We have a 3-1 advantage from the away game, so this is our chance to stretch out some guys who need to get fully match fit. Those two good backup keepers we had? They both went away somewhere and I didn't see where, so we had to call up our best U18 guy to give our starter a breather.

9 - Ding on McGregor

15 - Wow, that was some bullshit penalty right there. 0-1

29 - Terrible corner kick by Frogpond and they nail us on the counter 0-2

52 - Enough of this shit. Payne in for Bennett and Summerfield/b] for Frempong.

80 - We get the makeup penalty call and Payne converts 1-2

[]b]88
- *Another* PK?! This one's for us, and TBH, it genuinely was the right call, unlike the other one that looked like a makeup. Payne converts again and we've got this wrapped up now 2-2

91 - Kemp didn't even try on that backpass, and they pounced on it. I noticed he has a tendency to make major fuckups at times 2-3

8.1 and PotM for Jordan Payne obviously, but hat tip to 7.8 from Harry Powell. TBH, I'm very annoyed with how we played in this game, and we were damn lucky to advance.

@AFC Totton (FA Vase First Round)
G: Richard Stroud
D: George Gould/Kyle Craig/Lyndon Jefford/Nathan Speed
M: Jordan Payne/Thomas Nunn/Blaine Gregson (U18 Call-up)
AM: Will Summerfield
S: Stuart Horgan/Shane Bennett

3 days after that, we've got another Cup match, so we'll keep rotating in as many different guys as we can, because our next league game is 4 days after this one.

14 - Meh. 0-1

23 - Robbed by the fucking post

28 - Speed comes off with injury. Dynan on.

53 - Totally fluke off the bar free kick goal by Gregson. That'll do just fine 1-1

87 - Well isn't that swell. Gould is knocked out and I have no backup for him due to Speed getting knocked off earlier. The absolute best I can do is pull Jefford to DL, pull Nunn down to DM, put Frempong in at MC so that we're only running three in the backline, and pray we can hold out for a few more minutes.

89 - Stupid, stupid move by Craig, but they have an even stupider shot, so it's all square still.

We just got unlucky because of injuries today. George Gould is out for a week.

vs AFC Totton (FA Vase First Round Replay)
D: Elliott Burns/Tom Kemp/Gavin Lambert/Nathan Speed
M: Andy Mogwo/Richie Harwood/Kwasi Frempong
AM: Harry Powell
S: Antwon Bonnick/Jordan Merriman

Still trying to keep a reserve heavy lineup, because league match in a few days, and this is a team we have a tough time beating anyway.

36 - Kemp goes off with injury and Saxby is on.

73 - Standout interception by [b]Burns[/b and he launches it to Merriman, our star striker dribbling down the left wing until he turns around and sends it back to Mogwo. The Congolese passes to Frempong and it goes from Frogpond to Powell, who lays it into open space for a streaking Merriman. Defender lost, goal gained! 1-0

75 - Fucking immediate answer! 1-1

82 - Not only was that shit a foul, he was offsides, too!

87 - Mogwo and Burns keep trading passes until a longball is sent to Bonnick. He sends it sideways to a completely open Powell for the kid's first goal for us 2-1

90 - We drop into Contain.

92 - And there's the cross bar robbing Bonnick of a surefire goal.

9.0 and PotM for Harry Powell, 7.4 for Jordan Merriman, and 7.3 for Antwon Bonnick to give us the advancement.

We get $2.26k for winning the FA Vase First Round. Funny... I don't remember getting that for Thetford Town. Oh well... not going to worry about it.

I'm going to try setting Training to Low to see if that helps the Tactics Only grow faster.

13th @Oxhey Jets (6th)
D: Elliott Burns/Tom Kemp/Kyle Craig/Nathan Speed
M: Andy Mogwo/Thomas Nunn/Jordan Payne
AM: Will Summerfield
S: Stuart Horgan/Jordan Merriman

13 - I love these simple goals. Stroud's kick to Merriman, the pass to Horgan, the beating past the defender, the 1 on 1 for goal 1-0

19 - Speed atones for his own awful pass with a critical interception that he heads to Merriman. It's a smooth, silky ball to Horgan, who again outhustles the defense for a 1 on 1 and though I think the high shot is going to go over, it *just* drops in for the double 2-0

30 - YOU ASSCLOWN, STROUD! DON'T DROP THE FUCKING BALL OR I'LL FIND SOMEONE WHO CAN KICK YOUR SORRY ASS 2-1

Jefford for Burns and McGregor for Merriman at the break.

56 - Nunn wings it out to Speed, who goes to the right side of the box, pauses, and then launches it to the far post, where Horgan heads out everyone to nab his hat trick! 3-1

68 - I think I might literally go get some wine to celebrate after this. Speed kicks a ball so long and so far from the touchline I think it's going straight to the opponents, but instead bounces on the pitch and keeps on going. Well, you know who's going to get that, right? Yep, Horgan, beating out them all for his FOURTH GOAL OF THE GAME! 4-1

75 - You think we're done yet? Oh, hellll no! Horgan knocks down a header upon the goal kick from Stroud, getting to Nunn, who plays a phenomenal pass up for Moose McGregor. And our 6'9 fellow rampages down the field for his first ever senior goal!!! Sorry, you guys are going to have to let me post this video, too. He's my own pet project after all. 5-1

78 - WOW!!! Moose intercepts a poor goal kick and passes it to Horgan. I'm thinking McGregor is going to get the give-back, but Horgan is feeling so confident, it's a stride forward and GOAL #5 FOR HIM ON THE DAY!!! OMG! OMG! 6-1

I don't know if that's my first 10.0 or not in FM.... it might well be. But oh my God, what a moment!!! I won't paste all the goal highlights here, but I'm going to upload them to YouTube anyway because it was that damn special a game.

I know, I know... way too early to say anything, especially since we've been down this road before with both Thetford Town and Scarborough Athletic. But remember, this was also a team picked to finish 21st of 24 teams.

Oh, and as for Stuart Horgan?

...Yeah. He's 16. He's also the kind of kid I never would have looked at twice in my previous way of thinking, but my assman's love for him and my WTF not attitude gave him his shot.

And maybe it's a year's difference. And maybe system matters a whole hell of a lot, because he was on this squad last season as a youth pull.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote