View Single Post
Old 08-15-2014, 04:57 PM   #368
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
I'm not sure that was the implication in my post...it was more that the crime was categorized as a "robbery" because he was black rather than "shoplifting" if he was white. But that was before I saw the video - I'm not up on all those specifics - if it was him reaching across the counter to steal the cigars then I can certainly see that as more of a "robbery" regardless of whether he was black or white. I was under the impression that it was literally him grabbing some stuff off the counter and walking away with it.

Regardless - I don't think a white suspect of this type of "robbery" gets pursued with nearly as much vigor by the cops, nor shot in such a situation. So maybe that's my assumption of where race played into it, in which case I'm fine with that.

If he just reached across the counter to steal cigars it would only be misdemeanor theft. Again, crimes are determined by the legislature, not what feels right, or what anyone's personal morals or expectations feel that an act should be. That's pretty important to due process.

And he wasn't even charged with anything yet. He was identified as a robbery suspect. Because there was a video of him committing robbery.

We have no idea what kind of "vigor" the cops pursued him with. This officer that shot him did not stop him because of the robbery.

But again, despite these known facts and your inferences not making sense, you're assuming that because law enforcement is involved, there must be racism. Do you make the same assumption about me? Or the cops you buy coffee for?

Last edited by molson : 08-15-2014 at 05:03 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote