View Single Post
Old 08-15-2014, 08:16 PM   #54
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

10 April 2013

The overhaul of the Strathspey Thistle backroom staff was completed this week. I was planning to replace my assistant manager, but when I saw three unemployed staff members who were (1) considerably better than the ones I had and (2) willing to talk about a position with Strathspey Thistle, I decided to find a way to bring them all on board.

I sacked assistant manager Stevie Smith, who was taking £800 a month and giving banal in-match feedback and occasional, incomprehensible team talks in return. Likewise with coach Steven Cummings, who isn't as talented as most of the guys out there looking for work.

My new assistant is Michael Dempster, 32, who holds a Continental B license and prefers attacking, free-flowing football. He's very good at coaching both the attacking and defending phases of the game, and his determination and discipline are both upgrades from his predecessor. He's signed through June 2015 for £600/month.

Cumming's replacement is Billy McConnell, 35, who was capped 38 times by Northern Ireland. He is an especially good tactician for our level, and his adaptability and determination are excellent. McConnell is a "model professional," and he'll be on staff for the next two seasons at £275/month.

I decided to add an Under 19s Manager, and gave the job to Stuart Forbes, 31. To be honest, he's the best coach and teacher on our staff--12 Attacking, 15 Defending, 12 Fitness, 11 Man Management, 13 Mental, 19 Working with Youngsters, 13 Determination, 16 Discipline, 11 Motivation. If Forbes can't get the best out of our young players, I don't know who will. Forbes holds a Continental B license, too, and he's signed for £425/month through 2016.

They join coach Andy Robertson to comprise our new--and hopefully improved--backroom staff.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote