View Single Post
Old 08-17-2014, 05:14 PM   #455
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Their lack of regard for law harms all of society. Our failure to accept this reality -- largely in part due to an overall lack of willingness to condemn unacceptable behavior -- has been an enormous part of our societal downfall. And no, before anyone asks, I have zero problem extending this to drunk drivers & such either. The oft-maligned "war on drugs" failed because it was fought with lightweight half-measures, a tactic destined to failure.

Not worth the price afaic, surrender is never an option when you've never actually bothered to fight.

Jon, is this a real belief, or just for effect? What about people who drive up our medical insurance rates by being overweight or not doing enough to prevent consuming more health care?

We can't educate everyone all of the time. That's too much. People make poor decisions, whether it's in abusing drugs or drink, or in consuming mass quantities of soda or processed food. Our pleasure receptors respond to stuffing ourselves with something.

And wouldn't nicotine be a controlled substance if cigarettes were invented tomorrow? First-time smokers get high - after a few dozen packs that tends
to mitigate. My parents were huge smokers. When I went away to college, I de-toxed from that shit. When I'd visit later on, the contact high was very unpleasant - I'd get headaches very quickly from being in their house.

I don't think the good-old days were necessarily that good. Maybe being part of a group that faces a lot of discrimination leads me to that conclusion. I agree with you that we need to do more to encourage community, but I don't think the good-old days necessarily existed for that many people.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote