View Single Post
Old 08-20-2014, 09:58 AM   #718
molson
General Manager

There definitely was no probable cause, and based on the way the officer behaved, I don't believe there was reasonable suspicion either. But, just for fun, it is possible to get reasonable suspicion with a lot of little things added up. Again, I don't believe any of this happened here, but if CU Tiger's employee lived at a drug house, and he stopped in front of it, and they talked for a while outside, and CU reached for something the car, and maybe the employee left, came back, whatever, and the officer was familiar with the employee because he had done parole checks at that house, then, things can add up. A lot of places also have really stupid laws about how long you have to activate your turn signal. It's 5 seconds where I am, and nobody does that. Still, it's cause for a stop.

Even then, the stop can only last as long as to confirm or dispel the reasonable suspicion. If you pull someone over and nothing's amiss, that's it. You can't even call for a drug dog and wait for it, that would be an illegal extension of the stop. But if you had a drug dog with you, or if one showed up while you were lawfully doing a license check, then you could run the drug dog around the car, since that doesn't count as a search. That's how drugs are found most of the time, in my jurisdiction.

Last edited by molson : 08-20-2014 at 09:59 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote