View Single Post
Old 08-20-2014, 05:27 PM   #817
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
So using rights granted to you by the Constitution is stupid and obstructionist?
My goal at any routine police interaction is to have the least amount of disturbance and lowest chance for a fine/ticket possible. I've found the best path for this is to be polite and answer their questions. I guess it depends on your goals. If your goals are to never talk to the police because you have that right - have at it. I just don't see that helping the case for my goal. But, again, maybe people don't mind paying tickets/fines and paying attorneys to fight every situation. That's just not me.

Quote:
If the officers are inconvenienced by someone invoking their rights, that isn't the person's problem.
It is when they get an escalated ticket or additional charge for being difficult. You have the right to tell an officer you aren't going to speak to them and invoke your 5th amendment when they pull you over. They also have the right to give you a ticket and/or add additional "petty offenses" because you aggravated them. Now, you can hire an attorney and fight those offenses and try to bargain the ticket down. But, is that really a better solution than just simply cooperating either getting a minimal ticket or no ticket at all? At a minimum, my time is worth more to me to quickly answer their questions and get on my way as opposed to being difficult and having them detain me longer or add more red tape I have to deal with.