View Single Post
Old 08-22-2014, 10:51 PM   #80
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

31 August 2013

Today marks the end of the summer transfer window, and while I don't have a definite need in mind, I remain open to the possibility of improving our side.

The morning begins with the arrival of scouting reports for some youngsters who have been without clubs since they were released in the spring. The most intriguing are a 17-year-old striker, Willie Nelson, and a 19-year-old goalkeeper, Craig Robertson. Neither of them play a position where we have a pressing need, but they are both extremely talented players, and our staff thinks they would be great additions to our side.

My reporter buddy Sean Nicol asks me if I'm planning to sell Tim Francis; his sources tell him there will be some clubs trying to pry him away. I tell Sean that Francis isn't going anywhere, and that makes Tim very happy.

Meanwhile, I am deciding whether or not to offer contracts to Nelson and Robertson. Our chief scout thinks Nelson will want close to £1,000/month, which is what we're paying Stevie Murray. Is that too much for a youngster who played three first team matches for Rangers last year? I almost always play two strikers, so Nelson could slot in beside Murray; there's no way in hell I'm taking Stevie Murray out of the first team. Nelson would pair well with Murray, since Stevie is developing into a prototypical Target Man, and Nelson profiles best as a stylish Deep Lying Forward.

Robertson might sign for £500-£700/month. That's twice what we pay Chris Christie, our first choice keeper, and we have a promising backup, Ian MacDonald, who is a year older than Robertson. Still, Craig has played for Scotland at the U19 level, an achievement no Strathie player can claim.

I decide to make contract offers to both Nelson and Robertson. Both players are satisfied with my first offer: £600/month for Robertson, £825/month for Nelson.

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 08-23-2014 at 01:46 PM.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote