Strathspey Thistle 2-0 Forfar

4-5-1
GK: Christie
D: Roberts, Bell, Francis, S. Noble
M: Wright, Brown
AM: C. Noble, McGowan
ST: Murray

Goals: Murray (27, 69)

I can admit it now: this one had me worried. Forfar are a mid-table club in Premiership 2, so they're a very tough draw, even at Seafield Park. With Gordon exhausted, Dickson hurt, and Nelson on international duty, we had one fit striker--Murray--so the 4-5-1 seemed like the only formation that would work well. I had Michael Dempster pick the lineup, and his choices were obviously good ones.

Stevie's first goal wasn't spectacular, but it was Murray at his best. He took a pass from Adam Wright at the edge of the area, with two markers nearby. Using his strength to keep the defenders from muscling him off the ball, he slid to his right, opening up just enough space to shoot and, even more importantly, drawing the Forfar keeper just far enough to his left to give Stevie a shooting angle. Stevie drew the ball back across the box as the keeper leaned the wrong way, putting it into the far corner of the net.

Murray's second score came on a header, after a Forfar center back tried to clear and completely missed the ball. All Stevie had to do was tap it with his forehead into a wide-open net.

As good as Murray was, it was Tim Francis who once again was the best player on the park. The commentator kept giving "Headed clear by Francis..." "Well intercepted by Francis...", even "Headed off the line by Francis...that was a sure goal!" Tim banked a 9.0 rating before leaving at 70'.

Everyone can rest now, since we have a full week off before our next match. That will be a luxury we won't have again for a while!

We earned £2,280 for our performance.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote