View Single Post
Old 09-02-2014, 02:49 PM   #90
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Mrs. A was at a bookstore the other day and saw an NFL preview magazine that had the Saints as the cover story. She texted and asked if I wanted it, and I said no.

In 2014, when (1) multiple local reporters attend every open practice and send real-time tweets about what is happening, (2) message boards like this one (as well as team-specific boards) exist to provide opinions about sports, and (3) any story with a hint of newsworthyness will be overplayed on TV for 24 hours and then forgotten, the idea of getting sports news from a magazine seems very strange.

I am not saying that there is not a place for the kind of in-depth reporting and long-form pieces that work well in a magazine (that Jared Lorenzen piece from a couple of weeks ago is a great example). That kind of stuff is great, and the TV/Twitter culture cannot come close to creating it.

But in terms of asking the more basic question of "what is happening with my favorite team right now?," I do not see how anything can compete with what the internet is giving us, for better or worse.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote