View Single Post
Old 10-16-2014, 09:41 PM   #4
Radii
Head Coach

Also worth a note is RB Christian Riberio, our fastest defender, our defense looks ok overall (certainly better than our strikers), but Riberio is definitely a candidate to get involved a little more with the offense at times. With speed and stamina above 70, and a crossing rating of 62, solid for this level, he could be noteworthy.

-- My scout in England came prepared with a few names to look at, and I pick 4 targets to scout. They're young EPL players though, I'd be surprised if any were just available to us.

-- I start going through the scouting process, trying to decide what, if anything, I want to do during the July transfer window. It seems like I have 3 options:

1) do nothing, and see how my team is, and try to make moves accordingly for January.

2) I can try to loan in one or two big players for the year. It looks like there's no option to have the parent team pay the salary, so I have to be able to afford the player's wage. This limits me, as I do find a lot of youngsters who are making like $7,000/wk at Chelsea or whatever. Those guys are off limits.

3) I can try to buy a player or two to develop myself.

The loan option, option 2, seems like the best way to get better right now, but it puts all my eggs in one or two baskets (I can increase my wage budget by decreasing my transfer budget, but still, bringing in 2 good players on loan would likely be my limit). And it commits all my money to winning now with temporary loaners.

-- We get through most of July without anything noteworthy happening. I have a lead on a Man City CB that I could buy. Remember that I am concerned about my depth at center back, given that we run 3 of them at once.

-- We also have our eye on a Newcastle Striker to try to loan in. I first submitted an offer to loan w/ an option to buy, but they don't want to sell him (and my offer was low). I resubmit the offer as loan only.

July 27th, 2014

-- We play our first friendly, vs Kortrijk, a Belgian squad.

GK: Pym
D: Woodman/Baldwin/Bennett/Moore-Taylor/Ribeiro
M: Noble/Wheeler
AM: Oakley
ST: Nichols/Cummins

Our top player, Sercombe in the midfield, is hurt (he was coming into this). He'll be ready to go early into the season.

1st Half: We give up one chance early but they head one wide. Mistake on my part overrunning the play trying to make a tackle. One of their midfielders picks up two yellows in the first 25 minutes, so a red and a big advantage for me. We end up at the half in a scoreless tie. We have 4 shots to their 3, 52% of the possession, and we've got the only on target shot. But really they had two headers that were a bit scary and we've had nothing. A lot of that is me being rusty and not knowing this team yet.

2nd half:

Still trying to see what kind of reporting is worthwhile here. Lets try something like what I do in FM.

50': Their first shot on target, a free kick from 25 yards out over the wall. Pym dives for it and stops it and holds it.

53': We move forward down the middle, LB Woodman passes ahead to Cummins, he holds the ball up about 25 yards out. He puts on a burst of speed towards the center, getting enough space for a shot, fired from 20 yards, its by a defender sliding in to block it, and into the upper right corner for a goal! Solid individual effort to score that. 1-0

63': Kortrijk get a lob into the right corner to set up a cross, we head the cross away but they recover, a strong shot comes in from just inside the area, deflected and wide, corner kick. Corner goes to the far side of the 6 yard box, they win the header but contested pretty well, and over.

68': MC Keohane is in, Wheeler out.

74': Nichols up ahead to Cummins who is able to just run by his man and into the area, easily a clear cut chance, but a weak left footed effort goes wide.

74': CM Davies in for Oakley.

79': Last sub, RB Butterfield in for Ribeiro. We drop back to a defensive mindset.

88': They are attacking desparately now, we clear out cross after cross but can't really control it well in the midfield to fully remove pressure. Here they finally get a cross in, a shot is blocked, and one of my center backs boots it behind for a corner. The corner is punched away by my GK.

That's it!

Exeter 1 : 0 KV Kortrijk

Man of the Match: Craig Woodman (7.6)
Goals: Cummins (6.8)
Assists: Woodman
Notables: Pym (7.3), Moore-Taylor (7.0)

Low-Mid 6.x ratings from my midfield, higher ratings from the defense. My RB, Ribeiro, is the faster guy and I have him set to make runs forward and to overlap the midfield, and its my left back that ends up making the assist.

I end up taking 6 shots, Cummins with 4 (1 on target). My other striker, Nichols, doesn't take any. In the first half I spent more of my time trying to make runs down the right and find crosses, that just didn't work at all. I had more success going up the middle and just trying to find a little space for my strikers once they got the ball.

We managed 6 shots, 2 on target. They shot 10 times, 3 on target. Possession 52/48 in their favor. Passing accuracy at 87% for us, 90% for them. 4 fouls for them, 1 for me.

I'm happy with all of that for a first match. Each team had a couple other serious threats that we couldn't convert, there was the potential for more goals here.

I made a highlight out of my first goal:

Radii is offline   Reply With Quote