View Single Post
Old 11-24-2014, 07:47 PM   #78
Izulde
Head Coach

BREAKING NEWS!!! PIP ACTUALLY PLAYED A NON-MILL DECK!!!!

It was his merfolk deck that he'd talked about as building, and one he needed Lord of Atlantis for (he did pay me back, by the way). Not too much exciting to say here - The Poison Sea went roughly .500 against his deck. He had a lot of islandwalk mechanics, but I was able to avoid that after the first game due to constantly pulling either Halimar Depths or a Bird of Paradise for my blue mana.

The merfolk deck was eh speedwise. Can get out the swarm, but it's a lot like Glissa's Unholy Elf Army in that it takes time for the mechanic to get going, and I kept thinking "If I still had the red green mana ramp/burn deck, I would be destroying his deck again and again."

Not all a loss, though. We played two games of three way against a guy who ran a 1 creature control/burn deck. The dude won both times because Pip was trying to prevent my infect, and I was trying to kill Pip off before Islandwalk took effect. The first one was great - I killed Pip with Bellowing Tanglewurm and Llanowar elf on a life kill (this was also the game I had both Halimar Wavewatch fully leveled out, but he kept tapping them both turns with a creature he had out), and the dude killed me with burn in the exact same instant.

Truth be told, Poison Sea is boring as shit to play. Infect is a very boring mechanic. So I'm going to completely deconstruct it. I'm hoping after class to finally break out Thrun's Swarming Elf Army (which needs a cool name BTW), but it depends on when everyone goes home.

We did have an interesting scenario breakout. This one guy accused another guy of taking his binder and wanted it back, and it looked like a fight might break out. I was looking around for security to bring them over, as they usually patrol the area pretty frequently, but couldn't find them. Fellow Instructor was there, but was busy in one of the Lord of the Rings CCG variants.

Finally Accuser makes his umpteenth grab for the other guy's backpack to get his binder back, and Other Guy screams, "Fine! Take your bitch ass binder back!", throws it up in the air, scatters cards out of it, and spits on one before storming off. Fellow Instructor caught the tail end of this and said something to Other Guy as he walked off, but I didn't hear it - too far away.

So Pip, somebody else, and I, helped Accuser pick up his cards. I don't know what exactly happened there. I do know people have had cards stolen before, so I always make sure to watch my cards very closely, and have my box secure in my backpack, and my backpack secured to me when I play. Still a sad event.

In other news, The Girl was there again today, for brief instances twice. The first time I wasn't sure entirely it was her, as it was from a distance. The second time, I knew it was her, and I was going to get up and introduce myself, but she was clearly on her way out, and talking to Robbie and another guy I've seen in passing.

Soooo I went to a possible source close at hand.

"Hey, Pip. You know who that girl is over there?"

"*distracted look* Eh, no."

And then she was gone. Not a big deal. If I see her again Wednesday, I can introduce myself then. If I see Fellow Instructor tonight or him and/or Robbie Wednesday, I can ask them. I did, however, find the striking contrast in fashion styles fascinating. Last Wednesday, she was dressed in striking purple/black goth style attire. Today? Dark blue sweatpants and a Denver Broncos stocking cap with a pom-pom on top.

So this is a girl who I'm pretty sure likes Magic and football, and is cute to boot. Seems like a really nice trifecta to have.

Now to decide what deck to build for Wednesday...

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote