View Single Post
Old 11-25-2014, 01:57 PM   #79
Izulde
Head Coach

After class last night, I stopped by the union. There was a tabletop rpg session going on, but Franz broke away to play against me - a few Commander games, and then some 60 card games.

Going against Franz is pretty much going against one of those obnoxious tournament players, so needless to say, he beat me all games but one 60 card, where I had my unblockables out and managed to roll with Walk the Aeons and Overrun to get my first ever victory over him.

We chatted about decks and various cards, and he commented, "I like your Abzan Warrior deck", and implied I should go back to it, though the warrior mechanic is perhaps a little too underpowered for tournament play.

One 60 card game was amusing/frustrating. I kept building up Birds with Grafted Exoskeleton, and he kept finding ways to kill the Birds. He plays heavy blue, but a much nastier form of multi-color blue than Pip's mono blue forays.

In three games of Commander, I managed to build up in two games, but every time, Franz came back with either a field reset or some other way to neutralize me. He's of the opinion that blue is the best commander color, and perhaps he's right. I do eventually want to make a Nicol Bolas Commander deck. That said, the craziness of having 24 mana out by like Turn 6 or 7 was a bit dizzying, and involved me doing a lot of math to play as much stuff as possible in a single turn. Franz also approved of Thrun as a commander because he's such a difficult kill, and apparently there's such a thing as 21 commander damage leading to a win, no matter what the life total. So I need to reconfigure the deck to make Thrun the best badass of them all.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote