View Single Post
Old 12-04-2014, 11:51 AM   #223
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Is it just me or is that a pretty shitty trade?
Makes no sense in a vacuum, only if the Mariners have a trade of a different starter for an outfielder lined up. Even then, yeah, it looks shitty. It certainly sounds like Jack Z hated him and just wanted to get rid of him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Which I mean...in some sense I'm okay with. He's been remarkably durable aside from the cancer thing - surely he's gotta revert to the mean and spend some significant time on the DL, right?
I don't think any pitcher's a good bet to stay healthy on a long-term contract, but this isn't flipping a coin - a pitcher like Jon Lester is more likely to stay healthy than a Clay Buchholz/Francisco Liriano over any one season.

If the price tag ends up being too much for Lester/Scherzer and we fill the top of rotation slots with one year rentals I'll understand, but I do not want them to panic and feel they need to trade Mookie Betts for a Cole Hamels that is being paid market value. (Rick Porcello is the latest name popping up in the eventual Cespedes trade, and I'd be 100% on board with that unless Cueto is in play.)
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote