View Single Post
Old 01-08-2015, 08:17 AM   #32
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
This is a great read!

Looks like you had a great hotel room in PV. How often are you put up in decent hotels? I'd have assumed you would always would have been put up in cheapo hotels near an airport.

Thank you I appreciate it. To answer your question, all the time. I would say that domestically we average between 3 and 4 star hotels and internationally the same with the trend toward more 4 star hotels. There are contractual requirements that must be met with regard to location and amenities. Of course it's somewhat relative to the location. That hotel in PV was very nice in a great location. My hotel in Caracas might have been a good hotel, but it was surrounded by a 12 foot concrete wall with razor wire over the top, plus the rooms had cracked windows, missing light fixtures etc. That hotel in Caracas would still be considered one of the best available to us simply because of how crappy Caracas is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
I feel like we may have covered this before, but do you still get up to ND at all these days? Wouldn't necessarily expect it, given that you were probably here for your dad to fly from the AFB.

Sadly, even though I still feel like my heart is somewhat there I don't. Although not for the reasons you think. It was my mom's family that was there. They had a farm out west of town. All of them are gone now and the farm is no longer in the family. My great-great grandfather emigrated from Norway under the homestead act for that land. I wish it could have stayed in the family, but at least close friends now own it. My dad was the one who was in California.

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
I've only experienced these at LGA, to my memory. But the one that sticks out to me is the one where the plane was making a final approach and had to abort and climb from maybe 500 feet back into a holding pattern for another go-around.

Exactly. LGA can be a bit of a CF due to airspace limitations and controllers who will bark 3 or 4 instructions in one breath, but this is exactly what I was referring to.

Personally I have gone around due to windshear, a bad approach where I was too fast on final and failed to notice a big tailwind on approach and I just couldn't get the plane slowed down enough. That happened exactly 1 time. No way I'm making that mistake again. I've gone around do to planes not clearing fast enough, tower making a mistake and clearing another plane for takeoff when we were too close and a situation where tower felt we were too close to the plane in front of us and told us to go around even though I was fine and we would have been fine.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote