View Single Post
Old 01-14-2015, 11:19 AM   #527
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

High School Swim Meet – Winter Invitational - RESULTS

So this meet apparently evolved significantly from the time the schedule was released to the time the meet actually occurred. Originally, as noted above this was going to be a duel meet between 3 county teams. It ended up being a meet with 27 high schools in attendance.

This was a weird meet for Brett…I’ll explain below…

Brett

#1 (d1/s1): B Open 200 Medley Relay (Team B) – The meet started with Brett swimming the breast for the B medley relay team. He ended up swimming a split of 33.79, which would be a personal best if it wasn’t for the rolling start. Even if you add a .5 to the time, it would be a personal best. I thought this indicated he was going to have a good meet.

#15 (d1/s1): B Open 500 Free (5:45.55Y ) – I thought he might come out on this one and really post a good time. We had some discussions during the week about how he swims more than five 100s in practice on a 1:10 interval…and he makes the interval for all of them. This means he’s only swimming 5 seconds faster in the 500 than he does doing interval training in practice. However, he didn’t improve. In fact, this was the worst 500 he’s swum for the high school yet, posting a pedestrian 5:49.77. Still good enough for sixth place, but not a good swim. At this point I’m wondering if the poor swim was because he wasn’t feeling well and the longer event took its toll, or if he was saving himself for the 100 Breast.

#17 (d1/s1): B Open 200 Free Relay (Team B) – Almost immediately after swimming the 500, Brett had this relay. When his leg came up, he had a terrible dive (not sure why this keeps happening at this point in his swimming, but that’s another story), but as soon as he surfaced, it was obvious he was getting a good early grab on the water and really pumping the upper body. He finished with a split of 27.72, again a personal best if it had counted. Even if you add the .5 or so, it is still a PB – WITH THE BAD DIVE.

#21 (d1/s1): B Open 100 Breast (1:12.50Y ) – Again, as a reminder the seed time is not Brett’s best. His best is a 1:15 mid in high school swimming and a 1:14 high in year round. He’s trying to get the 1:15:35 for the varsity letter cut…and – He didn’t. In fact, he swam poorly again – Finishing with a 1:16.13, again his worst swim for the high school this season. I had a good vantage point to watch this race, and it appeared to me that he was making the breaststroke and upperbody race, where it should be just the opposite. He admitted he was focused on the pull, and may have allowed his kick to lag a bit. He has to get back to the sharp snap kick that made him so good at Breast to begin with.

Not sure what was up with Brett – 2 excellent relay splits, 2 poor individual races. Hopefully, he’ll do better at the next, and his last high school meet in a couple of weeks.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote