View Single Post
Old 02-26-2015, 02:29 PM   #567
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

General Update

So we had a scary moment last night. The kids went to morning practice without issue. Spent the day at home because the schools were closed due to concerns about the weather. The snow/ice rolled in around 4, and came down pretty steady most of the afternoon and into the event. At about 8, we were getting ready for dinner, and Bailey was fixing her baked potato, when she passed out. She stumbled backwards into the fridge, then fell to her knees and hit her head on the floor pretty hard right by the temple.

If you've been reading along for a while, I'm guessing I've mentioned her propensity to do this. It happened several times when she was younger, and we believe it is related to her problems eating early in the morning, especially when she is tired. She hasn't actually blacked out in a while, but she did pull herself out of a race at one of the Grand Prix meets because she felt she might.

When she came to, she sat down to eat and of course reported she had a headache. Which, after banging your head on the floor is to be expected. Then she reported blurry vision in the eye next to the temple she bumped. That was pretty concerning, but the vision cleared in about 5 minutes, so we just noted it. We figured everything was ok until she vomited about half a hour later, and then a second time about 15 minutes after that. At this point we figured she had a concussion and I was going to need to take her to the ER, in the middle of a wintry mix with ice on the roads.

We called the pediatrician before leaving, and after a long discussion, his opinion was the entire thing was caused from her being dehydrated. So we were to give her 2 tablespoons of watered down Gatorade every 20 minutes for the next 4 hours (did I mention it was about 10 PM at this point - and I got up at 4:30 AM and she got up at 5:00 AM).

It was a long night, but she seems fine today, and hopefully, this has illustrated, albeit in a rather painful way, the need to stay hydrated. Maybe she'll actually listen now when I tell her she needs to drink something.

On doctor's orders, Bailey will miss practice today in order to fully recover (she's not happy about it, but maybe this will also reinforce the need to hydrate).

Last edited by Breeze : 02-26-2015 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Noting doctor's orders for practice
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote