View Single Post
Old 03-09-2015, 12:02 PM   #399
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
As interesting as that would be to see happen around here (my goodness, the heads exploding off the shoulders of all the sidewalk alumni would be something to see), I'd be startled if they somehow got anything worse than Syracuse. I'm very much a pessimist about these sorts of things. UNC is a tentpole program in the NCAA and if they get it in the neck, I'll be very much surprised.

The number one lesson from all of this, DON'T SELF REPORT ANYTHING!
You would think that with Syracuse self reporting everything, firing a few responsible people (the AD still needs to go), restructuring some areas and imposing their own penalties and basically being an open book for the NCAA COI, they would have avoided the harsh scholarship penalties. Boeheim will appeal the stuff against him and the school will as well and I think this will get reduced a bit. Either way, the NCAA is in for a fight. There was not much to pin on Boeheim directly. The $8,000 from the booster was to 5 or 6 players, 4 of which have been named as football players, so how JB gets the worst of it, is curious.
I'm happy to see no recruiting violations.
The stuff with Fab Melo is the worst to stomach. He was suspended for a game or two mid-season. He apparently did what he had to do to get eligible again, and then we suspended him for the NCAA tournament. We made the Elite 8 without him. We should have just played him, made the Final 4, maybe took home the title and then still got punished this year. It would have been worth it, so again, the self punishment of that tournament suspension of Fab meant nothing at all.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."

Last edited by Marmel : 03-09-2015 at 12:04 PM.
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote