View Single Post
Old 03-12-2015, 01:52 PM   #43
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

CDB, March 12

March 10 -- Two more operatives return to duty, including Coffee Warlord.

March 11 -- Courtney Mason returns from injury: it is otherwhise a quiet day.

Too quiet for the likes of many. The natives are getting restless with only the tedious hum of 'routine' activity. Among the complainers is Dr. Vahlen, bemoaning to virtually anyone who will listen the deplorable state of her department. Her consistent argument is 'If we don't address the lack of available scientists in the lab soon, we run the risk of falling behind on our research.'

Falling behind, Dr. Vahlen?!? I become worried that she may not be the right person for this job. It is absurdly self-evident to anyone with two brain cells to rub together that the aliens are light-years ahead of us in technology pretty much across the board. Possibly hopelessly so. Falling behind, you say? Her point is well taken, but it's not as if I can pull extra world-class researchers out of my arse.

The situation is Field Ops is not a lot better. Almost everyone is antsy, especially the privates who are still waiting their first shot in the field. The first two missions have been tense, yet overall the soldiers have performed quite well. The inherent sense of danger during and immediately after missions has had a somewhat perverse positive effect of focusing everyone on the danger and issues at hand. During extended down times -- it has been nearly a week since Spectral Sleep with very little to do -- there is nothing for the mind to focus on except the continued effort to maintain fitness and contemplation of our fate, both individual and collective.

It is not as if we can realistically imagine that we have scared the aliens off. South Africa dropping off the grid was certainly more than proof enough of that, and there are reports daily from all over the world indicating they are far from absent. Having some control over the skies above Germany is a great achievement, and yet that means that the other 7.2 billion people, 98.9% of the world, lives in areas that we have little alien intelligence in and even less ability to interdict. It would be much better to have something to focus on other than that sad fact.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote