View Single Post
Old 03-15-2015, 05:25 PM   #42
chinaski
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Spent a good 6 hours (maybe more?) playing yesterday. I played a good amount of SC4 but I was never particularly good at it - I could make a profit with my city, but I never really felt like I was doing more than laying out a grid.

C:S felt a bit like that at first too, I have to admit. I picked the beachy map (name escapes me), and started plotting out my nice little low residential/commercial city near the water, with an industrial area to the north off the highway. After quite a few hours I had upgraded all the streets to be nice and pretty with trees running alongside, and built public transport etc. etc. It was a nice little upmarket town.

Then I get access to the high residential/commercial zones, and build my Manhattan-esque skyscraper zone. But there's a problem. My industry zone is dying. Buildings are abandoned as quickly as they are built. There is a lack of workers, and those that are working are over educated. I build offices to try and keep the educated workers happy, but to populate the industry zones I do something I've honestly never set out to do in SC4 - I buy land to the north and build a 'blue-collar' town.

Still waiting to see if this achieves what I hope it does, but I'm having a ton of fun either way making decisions like this.

You did the exact right move. It'll take a little time to build that blue collar industry back up, even to the point you might even consider moving all those jobs closer to your new trailer park
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote