View Single Post
Old 04-05-2015, 06:24 PM   #22
DeToxRox
Head Coach

2015 NHL Draft

So we head into the draft with the 10th, 14th and 15th picks. Immediately we are taken with LW Lawson Crouse, a 6'4", 214 lbs power forward for the Barrie Colts. ISS has him ranked #5, so it doesn't seem likely he will fall to us, but as much as I like him I don't think it's smart to trade up considering I have like 5 prospects left, and they all suck. So basically I need prospects really badly, and I won't compromise that for one player. Anyway, let's get started

#1 - Calgary selects C Connor McDavid
- No surprise

#2- Tampa Bay selects LD Travis Dermott
- This is pretty damn surprising, but TB needs D badly and Dermott is NHL ready. Still, the idea of seeing Stamkos - Drouin - Eichel seems hard to pass on.

#3 - Winnipeg selects C/RW Jack Eichel
- I mean, what a gift.

#4 - Arizona selects LD/RD Noah Hannifin
- He had more hype than Dermott, but I still think Dermott was the better pick.

#5 - Colorado selects C/LW Pavel Zacha
- Hahaha, have fun with your gutless Russian's Avs!

#6 - Florida selects C/RW Mitchell Marner
- Yawn.

#7 - Ottawa selects LD Zach Werenski
- Could have gone higher; perhaps the steal of the top 10?

#8 - Buffalo selects C Dylan Strome
- #2 on our board after Crouse; Will be devastating if he goes #8 and Crouse goes #9

#9 - Toronto on the clock
- We wait with bated breath for the Leafs to make their pick. Unfortunately Crouse is a wet dream to the Leafs front office, or so I imagine.

#9 - Toronto selects C/RW Nick Merkley
- SUCKERS

#10 - Philadelphia selects LW Lawson Crouse!
- Crouse has NHL body already; he just needs to develop his offensive game a bit more before he makes it to the show. Absolutely ecstatic with this pick.

#14 - Philadelphia selects RW/C Colin White
- White is only 6", 187 lbs, but I have had to acquiesce on size in the past if it meant adding tenacity, and White certainly has that. White has 15 aggression and he has 50-60 point potential. He is further away from the NHL that Crouse, but he has a similar ceiling.

#15 - Philadelphia selects C Matt Barzal
- Barzal is another puny 6", 185 player, but he has 13 aggression and he has the chance to be a top 6 center sooner rather than later.

#40 - Philadelphia selects LW Jordan Greenway
- 6'5", 222 lbs of pure ruggedness. We really like him, but I know there are other teams who may like him more. He is one guy I'd definitely part with for the right return.

#41 - Philadelphia selects RD Troy Henley
- 6", 194 lbs, but with 14 aggression and 18 hitting, he fits the mold of what we want in our D. Can he ever develop an offensive game though, that is the question.

#60 - Philadelphia selects LW Paul Bittner
- 6'5", 218 lbs. Bittner is very similar to Greenway, but he is definitely not as refined offensively at this point. I'd say the upsides are similar, but Greenway has the better floor.

#62 - Philadelphia selects G Callum Booth
- This was a stretch, but the harsh reality is that we need netminders in our system badly, and he was the best one available.

#67 - Philadelphia selects RD Justin Lemcke
- 6'2", 202 lbs. Lemcke has NHL size and strength already, but he has a worse offensive game than Henley. I do think he will be reliable 5th or 6th D at some point though.

#91 - Philadelphia selects RD Bradley Lalonde
- 6'3", 185 lbs. Lalonde is only 17 and he too has NHL size and strength. He was a boom/bust pick, but there is a lot to like there.

#94 - Philadelphia selects LD Medric Mercier
- 6'4", 207 lbs. Mercier is a french Canadian who I think could be our steal of the draft. He possesses the best offensive skill set of the D we've taken, but he definitely needs work in his own end. He'll have plenty of time to develop though, so we'll see what happens.

#95 - Philadelphia selects G Nick McBride
- Just adding to our positional depth with this pick. He has 20 determination which makes me think he could develop into something worth talking about in a few years.

#103 - Philadelphia selects LW Ryan Graham
- 6'1", 202 lbs. Graham has the make up of a dynamite PK guy but he likely won't ever crack our roster.

#118 - Philadelphia selects LW Dawson Leedahl
- 6'1", 205 lbs. At 19, Leedahl is an overager but he has 15 aggression and some offensive ability. Probably a career AHL'er though.

#119 - Philadelphia selects RD Tyler MacArthur
- 6'4", 183 lbs. MacArthur needs to gain weight, but he has all the physical skills you could ask for. Unfortunately both his offensive and defensive games require lots of work.

#151 - Philadelphia selects LW/RW Mike Baird
6'2", 171 lbs. Baird has 14 aggression but he is likely a career ECHL'er.

And with that we conclude the Flyers 2015 NHL draft. We did a nice job adding future players while also rebuilding our prospect pool.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote