View Single Post
Old 04-26-2015, 11:12 PM   #290
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Alright FA!

Alright, we have 42 players on our roster, 23 mill under the cap and 14.4 for a new player.

Final Year of their Current Deal:

P Brad Nortman
LS Kent Ikuma
DT Randal Kantowski
RB Brayden George
WLB Avery Haldar
QB Frankie Peters
RG Mark Meadows
OG Marquise Satre
TE JR Telarochhe
QB Blake Bortles

And my draft class 4 years ago – DE Gregory Burton, DE Nate Brown, SLB Ezra Wilkerson, DT Dana Korber, FL Cedric Banks. Know what? That was a pretty solid draft. After Burton and Wilkerson – we got 44/44 Banks in the 7th round, 41/44 DE Brown in the 6th, DT Frederick in the 5th and DT Korber in the 4th – all solid players. That wasn’t a sucky draft!

That’s a lot of players. I’m going to need some money.

I extend QB Schaefer for a year and make 1.3 mill in cash.

I can extend MLB Morris for another year and drop his cap hit by 1.6 mill this year, but I don’t know that I want to push out his salary. I can do a Cap Out for a little more money. I hold off.

I would have loved to have taken Shane Hopkins to a nickelback role, but he’s 10 mill. I cannot, in good conscience keep him around for two more years. He’s 35/35. He’swilling to drop to 6.3 mill, but that’s way too much cash. I cut Shane Hopkins. Sorry, I would have loved to have kept you as a womb to tomb player, but that’s not to be.

Alright, now I have some serious negotiating room.

Any major FA I need to keep abrest of? Three’s a 75/75 QB out there. Could I cut Blake and grab a different guy?

I extend LG Satre by a year but it costs an extra 2 mill this year.

I extend CB Hanks by three moe years and this drops the cap by two mill.

I love CB Allen Hutchings, he was a 5th rounder from 3 years ago and he’s now 50/54, so I can go with him and Hanks at CB easily enough. He was the only real player from that draft, that was a horrible draft.

I extend LS Ikuma by a year. In order to do the same with P Nortman it increases his salary from 1.8 to 3. Nope. I’m not paying that for a punter.

In order to extend him by two years, it hits my cap for 5 extra million dollars – bad Bortles, bad!

I extend SLB Ezra Wilkerson by a lot. He’s ours for a while. Good stuff. Now Burton. He wants a 5 year 74.9 mill deal. That’s ton of cash. But Burton is a 70/70 DE. We drafted hm for the long game. I commit that money.

That drops our cap to 18.9 under and 10.35 free.

Let’s advance to Stage 2 and see what we have.

Now, I’d love a cheaper P at some point in time later

Other needs:

WR x3
RB if I cut RB George (That cut would free 2.27 mill. George is my receivers leader though)
A real FB
Tex2
Starting OG only
Starting OT only
DE
S
3xCB
2xLB

I want to check and see how much the 6th year 75/75 QB wants – 5 year deal……..166 mill. That’s a lot of cash.

He led the league in passing yards last year with 5050. He’s one of the best we have. Among QB, Dalton Karenina is the 4th best QB in the league, and just a hair of Ray Maguire at 74/74. Bortles is 43/43. It’s like letting go of an aging Favre for Aaron Rodgers in his prime. Now it’ll cost us.

Now I might be able to be clever. For example, I could pay him a ton of signing bonus to cut his salary in the first year to make it more manageable – like an early cap out. I did that a bit with SLB Wilkerson.

Skip Dalton at first.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote