View Single Post
Old 05-08-2015, 02:09 PM   #1
Umbrella
High School Varsity

The alternate history of the NBA (FBPB3)

I've gotten back into Fast Break Pro Basketball 3 again, and decided to do a dynasty thread. The seasons play relatively quickly, so we'll see how far it can go. I'm going to start as a young 21 year old GM in 1946, just returning from the war.

Here are my settings I will use:

1. Start in 1946 with empty rosters and an initial draft (serpentine style).
2. Attributes will be on the 1-10 range, and scouting on.
3. Full finances. This means soft salary cap, Bird rights, mid and low exemptions, and balancing a budget with ticket prices, etc.
4. Historical model on. This means that stats should be reflective of the era.
5. Small randomization for incoming players. This will allow some variance for who becomes great.
6. The ABA and D-League will exist at the appropriate year.
7. All historical settings for finances, rules, schedules, etc.
8. All players enter the draft/league in their appropriate year.
9. Historical team movement.
10. CPU coach handles depth charts and game plans. I handle everything else.

In addition, I am going to blindly trust my scouts. For example, if during the draft, my scouts say Sam Bowie is much better than Michael Jordan, history will repeat itself again.

I'm going to be spending some of this thread talking about the older players, since I suspect most of us don't know much about 40's-50's era NBA. Hopefully we'll all learn some interesting things. Also, in the early era, there were a couple of different professional leagues. In real life, many of the teams from these leagues just merged with what would become the NBA. The game handles this situation as if they are expansion teams, so in this version of history, we will pretend they are brand new teams when they enter the game.

I haven't decided which team I should start with. If nobody has any preferences for a team for me to start with, I'll just pick a team at random. Only three of the eleven teams that existed in 1946 are still in the league. I'll be throwing stats and records up occasionally, but if there is anything you want to know about the season, just ask. The game does a pretty good job of record keeping, so I should be able to go back and find the data.

The first post will consist of the League Creation draft, since that will be time consuming. From then on, each post will be a season at a time.

Umbrella is offline   Reply With Quote