View Single Post
Old 05-08-2015, 10:55 PM   #2
Umbrella
High School Varsity

By a random determination, I ended up as GM of...
1946-47 Providence Steamrollers
Allegedly, the owner of the Steamrollers owned an arena, and needed something to get people to come to said arena. So he paid the $10,000 entry fee to get into the new National Basketball Association.

The order of the initial draft was determined randomly, and somehow we ended up with the #1 pick. Granted, this means the last pick in even rounds, but I'm still pleased.

From here on out, you may see a symbol after a player along the lines of Y/G. This is referring to the player's current ability/future potential. These are rated by colors ranging from red (worst)-> orange -> yellow -> green -> blue. So Y/G refers to an average player (yellow) with potential to become good (green).

1.C Noble Jorgensen (O/Y) – Four big men to choose from, and none of them stood out. I chose Jorgenson because he is only 21, and he was the best rebounder of the lot. I couldn’t find much interesting about him, other than he and his brother were the first siblings to play as teammates in NBA history.

SG Jasper Cummings (R/R) – At this point, there is nothing but bad players left. I need someone to score, and my scouts had him rated the best shooter. I’m not sure he was a real person, as I can’t find anything on him.

3.PF Bob Doll – The best interior defender available. His nickname is Ichabod, and I have no idea why. Oh, and he committed suicide at age 40. This dynasty is not off to a feel good start.

4.PG Stan Stutz – Very good perimeter defender, and good ball skills. As a bonus, he went to Rhode Island, so a local boy should be popular with the fans. He later became an NBA ref.

5.SF John Harper – Mediocre scorer. At this point, mediocre may be good enough. No info found on him.

6.C Steven Mack – Maybe he can score. Nothing real impressive, but he is a seven footer. Another player with no info.

7.PF Ed Sadowski – Good rebounder. Average defender. The only moderately interesting thing I found on him is he once scored 29 points in a game in college after breaking his hand.

8.PG Osvaldo Porras – A point guard looking to score. I still don’t know where my points are going to come from, so I’ll give him a shot. No info found.

SG Justin Green – Another guy to see if he can score. No info found.

10. SF Matt Guokas – Decent all around defensive player. If this name sounds familiar, it is because his son was a long time player and coach in the NBA. Also, they were the first father-son combo to both win NBA championships. I hope this statistical oddity repeats itself. Also, he lost his leg in an car wreck, and became an announcer for the Philadelphia Eagles.

11.PF Hank Beenders – Rebounder and shot blocker. Born in the Netherlands, he became the first non-US player to play in the NBA finals.

12.SG Sheldon Rios – I’m throwing darts at this point. OK jump shot, I suppose. The only picture I could find was a rather nasty looking mug shot. I’m fairly certain it wasn’t of a basketball player in the 1940’s.

13.PG Adolph Hoefer – Pretty good defensive player. I’m sure having a guy named Adolph on my team immediately after WWII won’t cause any problems with the fans. And after doing some research on him, it turns out he went by Charlie. Smart move. The picture was found on a website talking about the shortest players in NBA history. He’s listed at 5’9”.

C Nicholas Crauin – 7’2”. That’s all I’ve got on him.

15.SF Darrell Walker – Picked purely for the symmetry of having 3 players at each position.

This is the inaugural lineup for the Providence Steamrollers. Will championships follow?

Last edited by Umbrella : 05-08-2015 at 11:07 PM.
Umbrella is offline   Reply With Quote