College Prospect

21 October 2014

Kendal Town v. Bamber Bridge

4-4-2
GK: Loughton
D: Grosvenor, Foster, Peacock, Bridger
M: Irons, O'Neill, Hunt, Weaver
ST: Griffiths, Marsh

With such a short interval between matches this time, I rotated the squad somewhat. Mark Griffiths got his first start for the senior team, and he rewarded my confidence with a very well-taken goal. He got the ball from Paul Irons about 30 yards out, jinked past a defender, slid to his right to make some space, and lashed the ball past the keeper from 23 yards out.

Man of the Match Billy Hunt also scored his first Kendal Town goal--a score the commentator called "pure inspiration"--and the defense kept a clean sheet. We're back to third in the table, three points off the lead and three points clear in the promotion playoff "race," if it can be called that with so much football left to be played.

Kendal Town 2-0 Bamber Bridge

The victory was costly, however. Center back Steve Foster and striker Andy Marsh both left the match with injuries. Both players twisted their knees, and both will be out until mid-November at the earliest.

Those are big, big losses. Foster has been terrific since he joined the club, and Marsh is our leading scorer, with five goals in league play.

On another note, I really like Bamber Bridge's veteran midfielder, Leigh Shaw. He's 37, which totally runs against my preference for younger players, but he's got every attribute you'd want in a midfield boss at this level. I'm going to keep an eye on him, and if we need a late-season boost while we pursue a playoff berth, I'll keep him in mind.

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 05-24-2015 at 09:07 PM.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote