View Single Post
Old 05-28-2015, 09:18 AM   #18
BYU 14
Coordinator

Friday Week 1, February 1983
TV – AWA All-Star Wrestling
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Attendance: 5,700 (Sell out)
Ratings: .89 on medium syndication I (last .87), with a .13 on Mid-West and a .11 on Great Lakes local (last .13/.11)

Pre-Show
In a bout that had solid in-ring action but non-existent crowd heat, Curt Hennig defeated Tom Stone in 10:29 by pinfall with a Hennig Plex. (D) *Hennig looked good*

Main Show
In a bout that had solid in-ring action but non-existent crowd heat, The Wrecking Crew (Tully Blanchard and Arn Anderson) defeated Steve O and Brad Rheingans in 9:07 when Arn Anderson defeated Steve O by pinfall while using the ropes for leverage. (C-) *Blanchard looked good* After the match Blanchard and Anderson toss Steve O to the floor and lay into Brad Rheingans. As they administer a horrific beating, Lee Marshall chimes in “It’s Bob Backlund!!” The former WWF champ hits the ring, and cleans house, saving Rheingans. (C-) Bob Backlund grabs a microphone, and tears into The Wrecking Crew, telling them “I am not the kind of man to stand for bullying, so be warned!” (C)

A video plays hyping Buzz Sawyer vs. Roddy Piper in the main event on today’s program for the Georgia TV title (C-)

In a bout that had solid in-ring action but non-existent crowd heat, Baron Von Raschke defeated Kenny Jay in 7:54 by submission with a Brain Claw. (D)

Sgt. Slaughter is called out by Wahoo McDaniel, who says he was insulted by Slaughters comments last week and invites him to put his money where his big mouth is. “Slaughter, if you are a true man, face me at Blood and Roses this month and since you like to attack my heritage so much, let’s make it an Indian Strap match!!” (C) Wahoo McDaniel stares stoically as Sgt. Slaughter comes out and gets in his face. The posturing turns physical, and a brawl erupts that soon involves Jake Roberts and Jim Duggan. Eventually a number of officials and other wrestlers have to hit the ring and pull them apart before they kill each other. (D+)

In a match that had some good action and average heat, Buzz Sawyer drew with Roddy Piper in 17:57 following a double disqualification, as the two men beat each senseless, brawling up into the crowd and using everything not nailed down. During the match we also had Bobby Heenan attack Piper at every opportunity. (C-) *Heenan was good at ringside*

Overall Rating: C- Increased popularity in 7 regions, lost popularity in 3 regions.
Definitely a more consistent show and our rating slide was stopped, just need to pop that one big match, which was not happened yet. I think part of the issue is our momentum sucked coming into the year and was as low as an E, it is now D-, so I just need to build on every little thing I can. Slaughter and McDaniel are now booked for the big February card Blood and Roses, and Bockwinkel will defend the title against an opponent to be named next week.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote