View Single Post
Old 05-29-2015, 10:15 PM   #21
BYU 14
Coordinator

Friday Week 3, February 1983
TV – AWA All-Star Wrestling
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Attendance: 5939 (Sell Out)
Ratings: .89 on medium syndication I (last .88), with a .14 on Mid-West and a .12 on Great Lakes local (last .13/.12)

Pre-Show
We treat the crowd to what will probably become a once a month thing, In a bout that had solid in-ring action but non-existent crowd heat, Jerry Lawler won a battle royal in 17:54. The other members of the 'final four' were Tully Blanchard, Mike Graham and Arn Anderson, with Tully Blanchard being the final elimination. Tully Blanchard got the most eliminations over the course of the match. (C+)

Main Show
In a match that had some good action but not much in the way of heat, Curt Hennig defeated Jake Roberts in 8:17 when Jake Roberts was disqualified when Buzz Sawyer ran in and attacked Curt Hennig. (C) *Great chemistry*

As Sawyer and Roberts prepare to deliver a beat down to Hennig, ‘Eye of the Tiger’ blares over the sound system and Hulk Hogan walks out shaking his head (B+) Hulk Hogan watches as Sawyer and Roberts cautiously retreat, then goes off on Nick Bockwinkel and Heenan. “You wanna give Roddy Piper the title shot I deserve at Blood and Roses? That’s fine brother, just remember, the 24” Pythons will be waiting, and whatcha gonna do brother, when they’re wrapped around your neck, squeezing the breath out of your lungs and prying the title from your limp, quivering arms?” (B-) Bobby Heenan fires back at Hogan. “Let me tell you something and since you have 24” inch arms and about an 8 gram brain I’ll talk slow. You had your chance you puffed up freak, so you need to start from the bottom and if you are that much of a man, you can start at Blood and Roses against Buzz Sawyer!!” Heenan leaves with Sawyer in tow, looking like he just had his favorite balloon popped. (B)

In a bout that had solid in-ring action but not much in the way of heat, Wahoo McDaniel defeated Eddie Gilbert in 8:44 by pinfall with a Tomahawk Chop. (D) As McDaniel plays to the crowd, Sgt. Slaughter appears and an argument ensues, followed by several chops from Wahoo. Slaughter sprays McDaniel in the eyes with mace, then drives him through a table, standing above him hurling insults as paramedics come to the ring. (C)

Nick Bockwinkel has an interview with Lee Marshall, talking about Hulk Hogan. “So many muscles, so little between the ears. Hogan, a Python is deadly snake, just as I suppose you believe you arms are deadly, but the true power of a man lies right here” Bockwinkel taps his temple “And the mind of one, can overcome the might of many, and that, is why I have this” holds up the belt “and you have nothing but a receding hairline.” (B+) *Bockwinkel amazing on the stick as always*

In a match that had some good action but not much in the way of heat, Buzz Sawyer defeated Magnum T.A. in 17:14 by pinfall while using the ropes for leverage, after clocking TA with a chair as Heenan distracted the ref. During the match we also had Bobby Heenan distract Magnum T.A.. Buzz Sawyer makes defense number 2 of his AWA Television title. (D+)

Overall Rating: C Increased popularity in 7 regions, lost popularity in 3 regions.
The usual and a poorly received main event ruined a hot crowd who was probably pining to see Bockwinkel and Hogan go right then and there. Nothing Sawyer and TA could do about that, as they had a solid match. I get some good news after the show, CKND in Canada accepted our request to expand our TV show. It is a small network, but we now have a footprint across Canada in 5 regions! Blood and Roses tomorrow night, we need a good show!

Last edited by BYU 14 : 05-30-2015 at 12:11 AM.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote