View Single Post
Old 06-19-2015, 05:15 PM   #123
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Well he doesn't have any actual ideas he just things getting teary eyed and acting above everyone is how you solve complex problems before heading back to your mansion as far away from those problems as a human being can get.

Mostly that, but I also think he wants us to treat American racism the same way we treat the war on terror (however that would work). Also, he seems to think that if South Carolina changed the names of some highways and took down their confederate flag, shit like this would never happen.

Primarily though, I think he wants his video to be widely shared so he can bask in the adulation. I'm seeing a lot of that on facebook this week. I'm sure a lot of them mean well, and I'm sure I've become way too cynical, but it gets a little cringe-worthy. Whatever "change" is, whatever the "solution" is, I'm sure it's something more than dramatic facebook posts about this is all the fault of people in society who they didn't like anyway, including police officers and conservatives. It's very important for some of these people to let us all know how enlightened they are.

Edit: One thing that seems to be relatively lacking in the rhetoric this time around is the gun control rants. I think that goes towards this battle over how we're going to characterize this. The gun control rantings generally are about keeping guns out of the hands of the mentally ill, and here, there is a huge effort to disclaim the possibility of mental illness. I think just because the victims were targeted we want to assign as much meaning to the actions as possible.

Last edited by molson : 06-19-2015 at 05:25 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote