View Single Post
Old 07-18-2015, 06:51 PM   #5
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

15 July 2013

We haven't played our first friendly yet, but I've already been very busy at Heritage Park.

It cost us £1500, or about a quarter of the money in our accounts, but I bought out Jimmy Allen's contract and replaced him with a much better man...and at the same wage we were paying curmudgeonly Jimmy. Welcome to Bishop Auckland, Michael Pattison. Michael, age 49, actually has real skill in working with young footballers.

Center back Peter Sawyer wasn't one of the two biggest earners in the club, but he was #3, with a weekly wage of £55/week. Darlington 1883 came after him, offering us 25% of his next sale price. After looking through scout Adam Gibbons' reports and discovering we could probably sign a player who's just as good as Peter and with a lower wage, I accepted the offer. We'll see Peter later this week, because the Quakers are our first opponent. We might run into him on the way to the bank, where he can deposit his £250/week paycheck.

Sure enough, I was able to sign free agent Scott Lord, age 24, who is basically a quicker version of Sawyer...and at £20/week. '

Veteran striker Phil Booth was the next to leave. He was on £50/week with us, and when South Shields came for him, I decided to see what it would take to keep him around. My gut told me he wasn't worth £120/week, so I let him go to the Mariners on a free. He'll get to play at a higher level, and while he's not making 120 quid a week, his £80/week salary was still more than I was willing to pay him.

I agreed to a deal with Brigg Town for big money man Darren Griffiths, but it fell through when Darren didn't like the wages they were offering. We would have gotten 25% of his next selling price, the same as we'll get for Sawyer. There are still teams flirting with Griffiths, so he might not be wearing a Two Blues shirt much longer.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote