View Single Post
Old 07-21-2015, 11:51 AM   #175
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark View Post
Today Scott Walker signed a bill banning abortions after 20-weeks. No exemptions for rape, incest or the health of the mother.

Also, he signed a contract with the State Patrol giving them a 6% pay raise over the next two years. All other State employees will receive 0% over that time period. The State Troopers Association supported Walker when he ran for governor. They are still allowed to collectively bargain.

The bolded point is relevant, and just one example of crony government from the guy.

To be fair, however, a lot of the raise involved is retroactive - they haven't seen an increase at all since before Walker took office, so it's not like this is coming out of nowhere. It's also a raise about 1/3 the size of what Walker wanted (he wanted 17%, the Legislature gave him 6%), so I guess bully for the Legislature for standing up to him?

But, yeah. I mean, I get not asking public safety workers like the state troopers or other first responders to pay more towards health costs or what-have-you the way he did for the teachers. Whether or not I agree with it, I can understand carving out an exception for "look, these folks do a dangerous job and we should take care of them for that."

It's the "teachers being allowed to collectively bargain harms the state's financial health but fire and police workers should totally have collective bargaining rights" BS I object to.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote