View Single Post
Old 07-21-2015, 05:04 PM   #15
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

Saturday, 21 September 2013

Bishop Auckland (2nd) v. Newton Aycliffe (23rd)
Moore Lane Park, Newton Aycliffe

It didn't take a tactical genius to predict what Newton Aycliffe might do tonight. They've been playing a quick-passing, incisive style, but they departed from that style against us, big time. They found a big bus, parked it, and sat behind the wheel to see if we could get around/over/through it.

Our scouting report indicated they might be vulnerable to an attack down their right flank, so I instructed the team to exploit it. And that's where the game's only goal was created. It took 82 minutes, but finally Jordan Reed dribbled along the line to the corner and crossed to the near post. Matt Cobb, who is not particularly known for aerial prowess, rose up and headed the ball across Mark Robinson's goal and in.

We were well into the second half before we had our first shot, so tightly packed were Aycliffe's defenders. I resisted the temptation to blast away at them with an attacking style, and this time it paid off in three points.

Kudos to Reed, who played well at left midfielder, moving up when I subbed out Dave Lumley, who suffered a knock just past the hour mark. Dave will be fine, however, and we'll need him. Next up is Billingham Town, and it's at their place.

Newton Aycliffe 0
Bishop Auckland 1 (Cobb 82)

Bishops' Lineup: Griffin, Casey, Lord, Pook, Reed, C. Baker, T. Baker, Hughes (Forsyth), Lumley (Hunt), Cobb, Walker.
Booked: Hughes.

Attendance: 111.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote