View Single Post
Old 09-09-2015, 09:35 AM   #249
PilotMan
Head Coach

I was downloading the paperwork in the morning hoping to see that we were going to be planned in way early. I need that time to make my flight home. I know that it's only 35 minutes scheduled, but looking at the daily averages in Flight Aware, I see that the flight averages being in 20 minutes early. That would give me enough of a buffer to clear customs and hustle to my flight.

The flight plan only said 8 minutes early. Which is ok, but leaving a foreign country is never a sure thing. Everyone worked together, we boarded pretty quick, got our set up and briefings done in the cockpit and waited. I guess the ramp guys didn't get the message. At least it wasn't raining. We still pushed on time, but had to wait a couple of minutes for our final weights and take off date to come through. Then we waited again at the end of the runway for other planes to take off on the parallel runway. Eventually we were off, but I had only gained about 4 minutes on my 8.

Panama is on Central time, even through it almost due south from Newark. We flew straight north toward Cuba on departure. Before I started flying with this company I had never flown south of Florida. So flying in the Caribbean and Central America is a very new thing. Radio communications are also very tricky. The rules aren't exactly the same and the language barrier can be a safety hazard. Normally you wait for controller hand offs to the next controller, then switch frequencies, then talk to the new controller. When flying over different control areas, run by different countries, it can a little different. For one, radar coverage isn't complete. A lot of times you are reporting points and positions, then you have to make contact with the next controller on your own, 10 minutes before you get into his airspace.

Kingston runs a large central section, south of Cuba, but their radios often suck, which means that sometimes they can't hear you, or vice versa. Then you get to Cuba, where things are surprisingly good. They speak pretty good english and are reasonably friendly. Then north of there is Miami, which also want's that radio call early.

We were routed over central Florida this day, when normally we'd stay off the east coast and cross the mainland at Wilmington NC. Weather in that area kept us west. Most of the weather we had to deal with on this day was over the Keys and the southern half of Florida, par for the course in the late summer. After that it was mostly smooth sailing into Newark.

I snapped this picture of Philly on our way in:

We had made up a good bit of time, and ATC had helped us along the way by having us fly faster. We got to the gate, which was both open, and ready with marshallers. I jumped off the plane and started my journey home. Global Entry is so worth every penny.

I breezed through and went back into the terminal to find my flight. My time to connect had gone from 35 minutes to 55 minutes. Plenty of time. The next problem was going to be the oversold flight home. I needed to get to the gate and get listed on the jumpseat.

It was still available and she gave it to me. I guess I was the only person who needed it. All good things. I get to go home earlier and don't have to spend an extra 5 hours in Newark for fun.

My next order of business is concocting a bid for October. The good news is that I have vacation, and I think, I think it means that my award will be bumped and I'll get more of what I want. We'll see.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote