View Single Post
Old 09-21-2015, 02:27 PM   #220
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
When I think "pop song," I immediately rule out songs that are "too sophisticated" as well. Some of the suggestions above I'd put into that category would be songs by REM and something like the Police's "Every Breath You Take." I think you have to rule out songs with irony or deep messages.

I also tend to rule out songs that are a bit too novelty. A song like "Centerfold" by the J Geils Band fits that category -- great song, just a bit too "fun." As much as I'd like to give the nod to Fozzie's "Walking On Sunshine" by Katrina and the Waves -- great song -- it also doesn't quite have the weight either.

I initially thought of two songs when I read Quik's first post -- "My Heart Will Go On" by Celine Dion and "Yesterday" by the Beatles. But despite the pop appeal of those songs, they are a bit too slow for my taste for this discussion.

If I had to pick an artist that would have the perfect pop song, it would be either Madonna or Prince. Sure, both have songs that are too deep ("Like a Prayer") or novelty ("Raspberry Beret"), but I don't know if you could go wrong with a "When Doves Cry" or "Like a Virgin." For less popular artists, I'd go with everyone's favorite Sweedish duo, Roxette. I admit I was a sucker for this group. They had a number of great pop songs, my favorite of which would have to be "Fading Like a Flower."

My two nominees are clearly tainted by my background -- pop music was perfected between 1982 and 1990, or the from the time I discovered "pop music" through high school. My two picks:

"Don't You Want Me?" by the Human League
"Heat of the Moment" by Asia

So great. kcchief goes through this long-winded TL;dr vetting process and settles on HEAT OF THE MOMENT. BY ASIA.

Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote