View Single Post
Old 11-17-2015, 09:50 PM   #288
PilotMan
Head Coach

Well ladies and gentlemen, the results are in and it's pretty much all disappointment. I bid 20 different lines, the maximum. The last bid was very vanilla for the purposes of just covering my ass and it looks like it saved it. I had 17 bids rejected that were perfectly legal but that were rejected because it would would have prevented someone junior to me from getting a line. I've covered this before, but the company sets a line in the seniority list and says everyone above that line gets a line the rest are reserve. So my requests meant that while I should be able to hold that time off for the moment, the bidding program needs that trip to be able to complete the schedule. It's complicated, and it doesn't seem right, but that's just how it is. I'm glancing up and down the guys in my general seniority and I did pretty good. I'm not really sure how much me having the 22nd and 23rd off contributed to everything but I only got the 21st off around them. I had really hoped to have 4 days off, but I kid you not, nobody got 4 days off around Christmas.

I currently bid at #275 out of about 400. The most junior guy who had both Christmas Eve and Day and a total of 4 days off was #165. The jr guy with 3 days off and the holiday off was #175. I didn't stand a chance. No prayer at all.

We have a number of bidding rules that we can either keep in and keep the bid more restrictive, or can be ejected and roll the dice on the chance that it might give you a better schedule, but it's got a bigger chance of backfiring too. From what I could see of the other bids the majority of pilots in my seniority range chose to relax their bidding restrictions and ended up getting seriously fucked in the ass. I'm talking about guys who start work on the 17th and have zero days off until the end of the month. Even guys more senior to me just don't have their bids set up right and have worse schedules then me.

My schedule is pretty much 3 days off between trips, at least 1 really crappy trip, and 1 trip that looks like I might need to self modify my schedule so that we can have some family time around the holiday. I have to be available for my trip over Christmas, but missing the trip before will let me have a weekend off and get to go to see the youngest's piano recital and the middle son's band concert.

It's not ideal, but family comes first and you need to do what you need to do. I'll have a nice bunch of days off, but all at the cost of 4 months worth of sick time. No, not ideal. We'll have to open presents on the 21st, go see Star Wars on the 22nd and I'll leave on the 23rd. But, unlike so many other pilots in December, my schedule won't bring tears to my eyes.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Last edited by PilotMan : 11-18-2015 at 07:20 AM.
PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote