Old 12-23-2015, 04:30 PM   #11
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Alright, let's do the next one

#23. Skyborn
Dancing Dragon Games
RPG Maker
RPG

Skyborn is a game that was made with love by a handful of people with a Steampunk feel that's made with the RPG Maker suite of tools. It's one of the best games ever made with that suit (to my mind) and I finished it in roughly 12 hours of play. It's not that long. I've played around 10 or 11 RPG Maker games, and I've always found it to be one of the better gaming experiences. Now you know up front that any RPG Maker game is going to have some....rough edges. You know? That just happens. But this one really stuck out because of the care invested into the world.

Skyborn has a lot of things going for it. The game works pretty smoothly, the plot and setting are very interesting and different from a lot of boring "Dragon Warrior" or "Final Fantasy" clones. The game has levels of difficulty I didn't expect, and the game is pretty standard fare for the engine.

The major character is a tinker and engineer lady who's had it pretty okay under the thumbs of the ruling class Skyborn that look like draconians from Dragonlance. As she is set on her explorations, she finds a lot of people who have it worse than she did. And she'll rally some folks to the cause, and set out to bring down the big bad and some of the Skyborn race.

If you just want a diverting throwback to the mechanics of old, but with modern settings, story-telling and concepts, then Skyborn is a pretty satisfying way to spend some time. I enjoyed the time that I invested into the game. The setting was my favorite part.

And you can get it anywhere from RPG Maker sites to Steam and bigfishgames - http://www.bigfishgames.com/games/7156/skyborn/

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 12-23-2015 at 04:48 PM.
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote