View Single Post
Old 12-25-2015, 01:26 PM   #25
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

#16. Craft the World
Dekovir Entertainment
Strategy

68 hours. I have no idea what it is about this stupidly fun crafting game that pulls me in again and again. But it's a good game. 68 hours attests to that.

You have a handful of dwarves from whom you mine, gather resources, fight monsters, and build build build. After you build your way to a better you, the next thing on the queue is to delve in and around the area. Dig into the earth and fine ores of various metals, Stone, coal, and other resources like water, sand, roots, gems, and crystals.

All of these various resources can be used in different crafting recipes. Harvest wood, gather and get ready. You can cast spells yourself, and then make potions for your dwarves to use.

And then get ready to fight.

Every hour or so, a wave of undead spawns at night and you have to hold them off with your defenses. So the game turns into a bit of a tower defense concept then. How well did you build your defenses, traps, spikes, ranged weapons, and more? And then your folks will head out to attack as well.

Meanwhile you have to research up your stuff as well. How do you research tech? By building things that were unlocked with that techs. So, as an example, suppose you want to research and finish off Basic Lighting. You make torches. Eventually you've made enough torches that you finish that level off, and then you can advance to the next one. There are no research points or laboratory stations for research, or anything, you learn by doing - which makes perfect sense when you think about it.

Then you have to fight lots of folks outside of the basic night time hoards. Did you delve too far? Are there some goblins coming your way? Did some underground spiders hit you?

And you have to balance your handful of dwarves from crafting, fighting, gathering supplies, building, digging and exploring. That's a lot of balance. Meanwhile your dwarves have certain skills and tasks and jobs, and if you want to balance your community, then you can't have a bunch of fighters, but you need some degree of fighting in order to defeat the big nasty stuff you'll often run into. So that's another balancing thing as well. DO I have the right equipment for those roles that my dwarves have?

The result is a game that's both fun, and difficult at times. You need a lot of things to balance out, from food to beds, and from building to mining. They also keep adding new things to it as well, and just added a new world a few months ago, and now multiplayer. Good luck in crafting that world!

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 12-25-2015 at 01:33 PM.
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote