View Single Post
Old 12-27-2015, 09:48 PM   #36
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

#8. Banished
Shining Rock Software
Simulation

Let's do another Top 10 game while the football day is rolling. Back to back we'll have 2 games that have just a single designer - a rarity this day. (And this won't be the last single designer game on our list either.)

Banished is a very smooth simulator of a town builder. Due to playing it intently here together, I doubt that many here need a major introduction to it. As of today, I've dropped 73.7 hours into it. That's a pretty potent amount of play.

I've picked up the game a few times, and played with new mods. Everyone mentioned that the game would be even better with Workshop, and they were right. One set of mods (Colonial Charter) in particular has given the game 2nd and 3rd life. You can check out their website for more info, Colonial Charter - Colonial Charter : A Banished Mod

And yet the initial game is still pretty solid. It's pretty, solid, strong, and most of all? Extremely smooth. I've never had any crashes, any bugs, or any problems. It's the sort of game that shames a lot of other major titles that can't get their act together. It was a labor of love for years, and I'm happy to ward that labor with my Top 10 rating.

Banished is lovely simulator of building a small town. Now it doesn't try to add in research across different eras or to have you build a great sprawling city that sports a SimCity-esque megapolis. And that's okay, It doesn't have to. It's fine as is.

Banished works.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 12-27-2015 at 09:56 PM.
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote