View Single Post
Old 01-11-2016, 04:55 PM   #517
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
Luke and Ren at the point referenced are trying to make something happen. It is said that both need additional training after these scenes.

Luke learns from Yoda, do or do not, there is no try. Watch Luke trying to lift his X-Wing out of the swamp vs. Yoda's serene movement. Abrams is using the shaking we see from Ren to show that he is not fully trained. He must make effort to use the force.

Think of both Rey and Ren as gifted street basketball players. Everything is fine when they just do it. If you think you can do more and try to do it, you strain to do more. Sometimes you just can progress, sometimes you can't. Ren is thinking too much rather than doing. Rey is just trying things out. Let me try to do it, and it happens.

Which is fine... accepting that, then... Ren's shaking of his hand to get the lightsaber is not his Force abilities being affected by the shot he received, but simply a product of his level of training. In that, that Ren, while absurdly powerful in his use of the Force (stopping blasters, pulling memories out of people's heads, knocking people out easily, throwing people 30 feet into the air with no problem), he's not fully trained. In addition, his shaking hands is something he has done since the beginning of the movie (when stopping said blaster bolt).

Hence, in that reading, the shot that Chewwy unleashed doesn't diminish his Force power in that scene.

I tried to point out that I can see consistency in the Rey is just super prolific in the Force out of nowhere, I just think it's silly. I just didn't see consistency from the Ren has been damaged, hence his Force abilities are not working as well as they should - it seemed like a way for people who do believe that Rey's quite ascent was a bit silly and want to blunt that a bit.