View Single Post
Old 01-20-2016, 12:46 PM   #3
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

17 August 2013

Rugby Town play in the Calor Southern Division 1 Central, a league in the eighth tier of English football. There are 22 teams in the league, and each team plays each other twice, home and away. The resulting 42-game programme makes depth a necessity...before the cup competitions are figured in. We play in four of these: the FA Cup, the FA Trophy, the Birmingham Senior Challenge Cup, and the Red Insure Southern League Cup.

We played five friendlies during the pre-season. I wouldn't have minded a more intense schedule, and I had some of the senior players turn out with the Under 21s twice to help them gain more fitness. The senior team won twice, lost twice, and drew once, but the results weren't as important as the opportunity the matches gave us to prepare for the season.

The board hired another scout, Glen Knight. He's not a very good scout, and I'm surprised they couldn't find a better one.

I'm much more impressed with the five players we've brought in during the summer transfer period. All of them were free agents. As I mentioned above, my Director of Football, John Relish, found them and negotiated their offers, and I approved the deals and closed them. You'll see more about these men later, but I'll introduce them to you now:
  • Rico Taylor, a 19-year-old winger, formerly with Torquay, Tamworth, and Hednesford.
  • Dave Anderton, a 16-year-old center back. We are Dave's first club.
  • Rob Midgley, a 16-year-old defender who can play both left and center back. Rugby are Rob's first club, too.
  • Craig Tanner, 27, who can play anywhere along the left side. Craig has played with five different clubs, mostly with Tooting & Mitcham United.
  • Aaron Dalhouse, a 23-year-old right back. Aaron was in Crystal Palace's youth program, and has also played for Bromley and Dulwich Hamlet.

We began the year £1000/week under our wage budget. These five players will cost us just under £600/week altogether, with Dalhouse and Tanner the big earners at £230/week each. We might have room to add more players; I'll know more after I see what our total expenditures look like.

Two players have left the club since I arrived. Left back Craig Kelly signed for Maldon & Tiptree, and center half Mason Rowley is off to Grays Athletic. Both players have moved up a level, so it's hard to argue with their desire to move on. If Grays end up selling Rowley on, we'll receive 25% of the fee.

I'll be back in a bit with a post that examines our roster as we enter the Southern Division 1 Central programme this afternoon, away to Aylesbury United.

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 01-20-2016 at 01:20 PM.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote