View Single Post
Old 01-27-2016, 07:43 PM   #18
bbgunn
College Benchwarmer

Location: Osaka, Japan via Honolulu, Hawaii via Birmingham, Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfriars Bobby View Post
Nevertheless, I'm a little concerned that the Director of Football has put us in a position where we're overspending our wage budget by £350/week. I suppose I could have said "no" to the contracts, but part of the fun of this save is working with what is presented to me. Real managers find themselves in similar positions from time to time; I doubt if many managers have the kind of total control of every aspect of a club's operations that is possible in FM.
I agree. I'm finding myself managing more and more like this in my own FM games. (By the way, I'm still playing FM14 as well, but mainly because they stopped selling Football Manager here in Japan - even on Steam - and I can't buy any of the newer ones.) It's an interesting challenge to delegate control of many tasks to my backroom staff and trust them with that, but like you said, that's probably how it works in real life. In my current save, I'm setting the starting lineup for each match and, of course, the tactics, and I handle team talks and press conferences, but I leave the rest to my staff. It forces me to pay careful attention to the staff members I bring in and their attributes, but it's a lot of fun when you get that staff member that really makes a difference in your club.