View Single Post
Old 02-21-2016, 09:44 AM   #3
BYU 14
Coordinator

11/2/76 - Jazz 1-1 vs Bulls 0-1
This starts off as a wild one and the Bulls lead by as many as 11 in the first quarter as we are turnover prone early, but we ride 51% shooting and flawless ball control in the 2nd quarter to fight back and take a 45-44 lead into the break, despite being outrebounded 28-19 through 24 minutes. So much for that inside presence, though Jamaal Wilkes does have 8 for us.The insanity continues in the second half as the game is tied 13 times and sees 30 lead changes overall as rgulation ends tied at 94.We shoot ourselves in the foot in overtime and fail to tie it on consectutive possessions at the end falling 114-112 despite a balanced attacked that sees 7 Jazz in double figures, led by McElroy (18) and Coleman (17 off the bench) - Key stat 59-37 rebound gap
11/5/76 -Jazz 1-2 at Trailblazers 0-1
Can anyone play defense here? WTF, we gave up 46 points points in the second quarter as Portland is 7 for 11 from behind the arc (we are 0-6) which translates into a 68-53 halftime deficit despite the fact that we shoot 57.5% from the field in the first half, led by Phil Smith with 15 from the two guard spot.And when they are not hitting threes, Bill Walton is eviscerating us from inside the paint with 17.The second half is just ugly, especially the 4th quarter when both teams combine for just 29 points and we waste a 21 point performance from Jim McElroy, while Phil Smith hangs a goosegg in the 2nd after his strong first half.Walton only ends up with 21 and Parrish is decent with 10 points and 6 steals before fouling out in a 107-89 loss, with a 14 rebound deficit

I like that Elgin Baylor uses a deep bench, but I am not a fan of his passive rebounding strategy, which may result in me overriding him at some point if we keep getting sodomized on the boards. As a side note it is amazing how many great big men were playing in the 70's, which is a big reason I went after Parrish, but having to face Abdul-Jabbar, Walton, Artis Gilmore, Bob Lanier, Bob McAdoo etc, it could be a long year if we don't get the inside working.

Side note - Maravich is averaging 41.5 for the 3-1 Warriors
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote