View Single Post
Old 04-13-2016, 04:51 PM   #16
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

I remember watching Chico and the Man as a kid. The suicide was huge news, and since we were in an age when news came mainly from newspapers and networks, the idea that someone young and successful would kill himself was very upsetting. I don't think it was a great show, though.

Happy Days was innovative at first. But it quickly jumped the shark. Even before episode 91, which was the most inane thing ever on television (before Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie). Even as a little kid, it seemed lame. If the jump failed, he'd still crash outside of this tiny enclosure. And there was this strange insistence on the leather jacket over swim trunks. And finally, it was essentially a parody of his motorcycle stunt a couple of years earlier, which did advance the character significantly. The shark thing was worth -100 points. And the last few years were awful. The live audience would interrupt every time a character came onstage for the first time, and this was a big part of the show. So does the first three years and the success of two major spinoffs (neither of which were quality shows) outweigh a mountain of suck afterward. Since Winkler never gambled on baseball, it probably does. Happy Days is the Pete Rose of television history.

I'd lean toward The Jeffersons being an automatic. Not just for popularity and longevity, but in establishing the African American presence on television as less stereotypical. Isabel Sanford was a top-notch actress, and carried the show. Marla Gibbs was recognized for her comedic talent as well. It was a quality show.

One I struggle with is One Day at a Time. It tried to provide a realistic, edgy portrait of raising teenagers. It was more must-see as a kid. But it was never nominated for Best Comedy. Was it underrated or overrated?

I'm also considering Maude, Barney Miller, Bob Newhart, Rhoda and Soap.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote