Thread: Modular Homes
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2016, 10:16 AM   #8
Castlerock
High School Varsity

My parents rebuilt an old beach cottage in Massachusetts with a custom modular home. I am pretty sure the company that built it was Pro-Fab (from Quebec). They had an architect design the house (intending to stick-build it). They ended up giving the CAD plans to the modular builder and with slight modifications, they constructed it. The on-site builder you work with will matter a lot. They will work with the modular home company and there is still a lot of work that the on-site builder does after the boxes are delivered. All those details matter.

The home is beautiful and worth maybe $800,000 so it is not low end. Other than minor things like the greater distance between the ceiling of floor 1 and the floor of floor 2 (that you would not notice unless you were really looking) it is comparable to stick-built.

I wasn't intimately involved in the process so I can't give too many specifics but if you have questions, I could ask them. They are very happy and it cost considerably less than stick-built.
Castlerock is offline   Reply With Quote